No Rear Brakes.... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2009, 12:54 AM
Datsun SBC/BBC/LSx Guru

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

No Rear Brakes....

Hey guys, I am just wrapping up my '69 C10 truck after being apart after swapping to front disc brakes, drop spindles, power booster/master cylinder, and 4 corner air-ride conversion. The rear drums were untouched (for the moment).

Anyway, I had the truck in the air to bleed the brakes and after I was finished I started the truck and put it in drive to test everything while still off the ground. Well as my luck would have it, I have ZERO rear brakes, not even enough to stop the axle while off the ground. The front brakes work fine. I know I have fluid making it back there because I had plenty of brake fluid coming out of the bleeders when I was bleeding them.

Now I know the first question you guys would ask is if they were working BEFORE the swap, well to be honest, I don't know. I haven't really driven the truck since buying it and since it was a manual drum setup all the way around I can't be sure either way. I can tell you the braking was piss-poor compared to my '74 K5.

I've pulled both rear drums, the shoes and drums are great shape, and neither wheel cylinders are leaking, and just be sure I've adjusted both sides shoes to drag lightly on the drums.

My guess would of been the wheel cylinders, but I've never heard of them going bad without leaking, plus what's the odds that both would be bad at the same time?

So guys, I am eager to hear your ideas.

Thanks!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2009, 05:27 AM

Last photo:

did u bleed the rear ones too? maybe someone blocked those off with a small nail in each line so they could spin the tires easier. u said the shoes where like new, and the masters' weren't leaking.. so they must have not been used in a while.. check each fitting and the center brass connector... just my idea..ok u did bleed the rear ones the wheel cylinders could be frozen if u r getting plenty of fluid then its probably bypassing the guts of the thing

Last edited by smrat; 03-17-2009 at 05:34 AM.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:41 AM

Last journal entry: 50 Ply wagon
Last photo:

You said you put a new master cylinder on. Did you bench bleed the master cylinder before you put in on? If you didn't, that may be the culprit.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:13 AM
Datsun SBC/BBC/LSx Guru

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetdart
You said you put a new master cylinder on. Did you bench bleed the master cylinder before you put in on? If you didn't, that may be the culprit.
Yup, bench bled.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:27 AM

Brake problem

If all is correct at the rear wheels then the only thing I can come up with is air trapped in the MC. To check for this problem remove MC cover and stroke the pedal SLOWLY and watch for a bubble as the fluid moves. If you see even a small bubble, then thats the trouble. Make sure the MC is level to the earth. Some GMs mount the MC to the firewall and sit out of level and are very difficult, no, impossible to bleed the lines to the rear until the MC is level to the earth. Try it. It won't cost anything but a little time.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:21 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

The wheel cylinder pistons may be froze up (rusted) inside and not really working. Even a froze up cylinder will appear to be bleeding when you open the bleeder valve but it's not working the pistons. Wheel cylinders are cheap and not worth rebuilding unless you have something rare. I would change the wheel cylinders and then re-bleed them and then they should work.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.