Hot Rod Forum banner

no reverse!!!!

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  gmsilveradonm 
#1 ·
2002 Chevrolet Silverado, automatic transmission(4L60E), 36,091miles.
About 4 weeks ago my tranny would make a knocking noise everytime it shifted to the next gear until recently when I stopped at a stop sign and began to take off the transmission made a loud grinding noise. I inspected the tranny and everything seemed to be fine. The fluid was also good. After that happened I now have no reverse and I think 2nd and 4th gears are gone too. The tranny also makes a buzzing noise in park, reverse, and neutral. I've been told to drain the fluid and change the filter. I did so but it is still the same. I've also been told that a broken sun gear shell may be causing the problem? But I can't seem to locate it. Does anybody have any other suggestions on what the problem may be? Your help will be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
In the older trannies (turbo350s, powerglides) the reverse always seemed to go 1st, when the trans was going south.

Shouldn't be gone at 36,000 miles though.

Looks like a warrenty claim to me....................

#4 ·
No reverse.

mayb no 2nd and 4th? it would be nice if you were a bit more clear on that.

I imagine the sun shell splines stripped out. 2001 -2003 seem have a real bad problem with soft metal in that area.

Changing the fluid & filter will most likely NOT help.

#5 ·
thanx crazy mopar guy I'll be looking out for your next post....Crosley---well after the incident while I was driving back home the rpm would go really high and then finally it would switch to the next gear. I stayed at 35 because I was too afraid that something else might mess up. I'm not too sure if 2nd and 4th are missing but I'm told they are.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.