Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Transmission - Rearend (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/transmission-rearend/)
-   -   No reverse gear and slippage in Drive 2nd gear. (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/no-reverse-gear-slippage-drive-2nd-gear-156062.html)

jadejoky28 04-01-2009 08:13 PM

No reverse gear and slippage in Drive 2nd gear.

I posted earlier about rebuild kit for 4l60e transmission in 1995 GMC Sierra 1500 automatic 4X4 5.7 litre engine. I have major slippage in reverse gear, if I rev engine to 4000 rpm range reverse will finally engage but truck shudders. I am now getting slippage in Drive when shifting to 2nd gear at about 35 - 40 mph when I stop accelerating. The truck has some shuddering when accelerating from a dead stop but this does not happen all of the time. Anyone else experience this and does it sound like a needed rebuild?

Thanks

Jay

LEE EYES 04-01-2009 08:44 PM

any other symptoms?

jadejoky28 04-02-2009 06:09 AM

Not really, we replaced filter and trans fluid about a month ago and it was very dirty but didn't contain any large metal chunks. I have added some trans additive but didn't seem to help. What other symptoms should I be looking for?

Jay

LEE EYES 04-02-2009 12:44 PM

4th gear issues? right now it sounds like a pressure issue. cant know much more at this time. do you hear any grinding?

jadejoky28 04-02-2009 01:20 PM

By 4th gear do you mean OD? When I am in Drive it will shift from 1st to 2nd and will not shift any more gears. I can get to about 55mph before the engine begins to sputter but it will never shift to next gear.

jadejoky28 04-02-2009 03:29 PM

Sorry I don't hear any grinding, maybe a soft whining sound but I am not sure this is the transmission. I received an email stating you saying "you are the proud owner of a faulty reaction sunshell..." but I don't see that on the forum. What is the reaction sunshell and where can I get a new one of these if it is faulty.

Thanks,

Jay

SSedan64 04-02-2009 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jadejoky28
Sorry I don't hear any grinding, maybe a soft whining sound but I am not sure this is the transmission. I received an email stating you saying "you are the proud owner of a faulty reaction sunshell..." but I don't see that on the forum. What is the reaction sunshell and where can I get a new one of these if it is faulty.

Thanks,

Jay

http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/A74624A.html

http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/4L60E-4L65E.html

Crosley 04-02-2009 07:31 PM

What is the mileage on this transmission?

Reverse does not function unless you rev the engine high , then it shakes , chatters the vehicle? Or not at all = no reverse.

As i read the post the transmission shifts to 2nd gear and will not shift to 3rd gear or 4th gear?

jadejoky28 04-02-2009 08:17 PM

175,000 miles on engine. Not sure if it has ever been worked on before as I just purchased it about a month ago. It does go into reverse after reving to about 3500 rpm. It will not shift into 3rd or 4th gear. I can go about 55mph in 2nd gear and then it sputters. It also has slippage in 2nd gear at 35-40mph when I let off the accelerator. Hope this helps. Sounds to me like reaction sunshell problem amongst other thing.

Crosley 04-02-2009 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jadejoky28
175,000 miles on engine. Not sure if it has ever been worked on before as I just purchased it about a month ago. It does go into reverse after reving to about 3500 rpm. It will not shift into 3rd or 4th gear. I can go about 55mph in 2nd gear and then it sputters. It also has slippage in 2nd gear at 35-40mph when I let off the accelerator. Hope this helps. Sounds to me like reaction sunshell problem amongst other thing.

IF reverse works even a little , the Drive shell ( reaction shell to some folks) is OK.

THe trans has no 3rd or 4th gears? A common failure of the transmission since 1982 when the 700r4 was released.

Sounds like it needs a proper rebuild or at least serious internal repairs.

LEE EYES 04-02-2009 10:46 PM

sorry. misunderstood. i thought you said no 2nd. true, if reverse works at all the shell is ok. the shudder is intersting...

jadejoky28 04-04-2009 09:44 AM

Well I guess I will find out today. We are starting to rebuild this morning, I will post updates. Thanks for all the great information. This forum rocks. :D

jadejoky28 04-07-2009 03:57 PM

Well got the transmission torn out. Low/Reverse clutches burned pretty badly and sun gear bushing spun out. My newest question concerns 3/4 clutch pack. Mine had 5 3/4 booster springs around the top before you put the pressure plate on. I have seen pics on the internet that show this process being done but without the booster springs. What is the correct thing to do?

Jay

paul poirier 04-08-2009 10:19 PM

The purpose of the booster springs is release the clutch plates quicker on a downshift, either 4/2 or 3/2. GM Put them their for proper calibration. as far as the low reverse plates . their is a GM bulletin as well as an aftermarket repair for low reverse clutch fatigue. It is caused from the plates releasing too slowly when going from a reverse to drive manuever. In 1996 the manual valve and spacer plates were changed to correct this . the aftermarket drills a small exhaust hole in the low reverse piston too help exhaust oil after the shifter is put to drive range . However they leave the low reverse checkball out. (the one in the case capsole.

jadejoky28 04-09-2009 11:49 AM

Thanks for the information. We go the boost springs installed without a hitch. Transmission is assembled and we'll be putting it back into truck today or tomorrow. Thanks to all for the help.

Jay