No Reverse Lights - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2010, 10:49 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

No Reverse Lights

Hi on my 89SBC s15 when i put my transmission into reverse my reverse lights dont come on but my brake lights stay on. In drive the brake lights come off and dont come back on until i touch the brake. When headlights are on its the same thing... reverse= no reverse lights but brake lights stay on put it out of reverse, brake lights come off. Is there a switch thats bad i should be aware of or bad wiring somewhere? I dont think it could be wiring tho if everything else works?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2010, 11:01 PM

Last photo:

Might be a white switch on the steering column under the dash kinda where your ankle you be if you press the gas?? Some of the 80's cars has a 3" long, slightly bent, switch that moved with the gear shifter for reverse lights. Its 2 screws to remove if its there. Dont quote me
Old 09-28-2010, 08:40 PM
33 Pontiac 3W Sport Coupe

Your brake lights should NOT come on when you put it in reverse UNLESS your foot is on the brake. Check your wiring. The switch on the column that Bubba is talking about also has the nuteral safety switch(2 purple wires on a GM I believe) built in it. I don't remember what color the wires for the reverse light are. You should be able to pull the connector off and put a jumper between the 2 wires to make the reverse lights come on. You would have to have the key in the on position. If the switch is out of ajustment loosen the 2 5/16"(I think) screws and move the switch up or down acordingly. Becareful doing the because it afects the nuteral safety switch also, so test that also after ajustment.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:34 AM

Transmission type---

Automatic trans uses column swt, pink wire from fuse, Lt green to lamps.
Manual trans has swt for B/U Lts only, with same wire colors.
Trouble points at trailer plug wiring add ons,are the most common.
rarely the turn signal switch under steering wheel, does that.
Disconnecting the switch, will indicate where to check. (brake lights still on? yes or no)
Otherwise wiring at taillights, could have strange splicing or tape, changes.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:20 PM

Last photo:

backup lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbahotep
Might be a white switch on the steering column under the dash kinda where your ankle you be if you press the gas?? Some of the 80's cars has a 3" long, slightly bent, switch that moved with the gear shifter for reverse lights. Its 2 screws to remove if its there. Dont quote me
Like bubba says the neutral safety switch and the backup light switch are together, It is at the very bottom of you column, and has terminals on each end for plugs, two wires on each one either that switch has gone bad on the backup side or is out of adjustment either get the car off the ground or put it where nothing is in front of it, bump the key in gear to see if it will turn over, you don't have to start it,just see if it's getting power. If you do the whole thing is out of adjustment, if it doesn't do anything, check The other side of th switch and see if you have power going though it in a gear besides reverse, if you do I would say you have a bad switch, I don't think it would be the wires because there are to many things going on.

Later 35terraplane
Old 09-30-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35terraplane
Like bubba says the neutral safety switch and the backup light switch are together, It is at the very bottom of you column, and has terminals on each end for plugs, two wires on each one either that switch has gone bad on the backup side or is out of adjustment either get the car off the ground or put it where nothing is in front of it, bump the key in gear to see if it will turn over, you don't have to start it,just see if it's getting power. If you do the whole thing is out of adjustment, if it doesn't do anything, check The other side of th switch and see if you have power going though it in a gear besides reverse, if you do I would say you have a bad switch, I don't think it would be the wires because there are to many things going on.

Later 35terraplane
The backup light switch should not have any effect on Brake Lights,
Old 09-30-2010, 03:21 PM

Last photo:

backup lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by randolphi
The backup light switch should not have any effect on Brake Lights,
They shouldn't but when he takes it out of reverse the brake lights go out. that shouldn't happen either. The head light switch , I think that can be taken out altogether as it has nothing to do with anything coming out of the column.

you have four different circuits coming out of the column.
stop light switch white wire, other side of switch red wire to fuse panel.
Turn signals and stop light right rear dark green, to rear.
left rear stop light and turn signal yellow wire, to rear.
turn signal flasher power from fuse panel purple wire.
hazard flasher power from fuse panel brown.
right front signal dark blue wire to front.
left tun signal light , light blue to front,
horn black wire to fuse panel.
Some Buick columns are green wire on horn, why I don't know.

Next plug on column is the ignition switch plug, these may or may not be by color alot of them are letter/number sequence rather than colored wires they are all in the same sequence , it is just what they are using.
The last thing on the column is the backup light switch and the neutral safety switch It is one switch with one end being the backup, the other the safety switch. two wires coming off both one Sorry I don't have the color wire in front of me at the moment. now the the statement that the backup switch has nothing to do with the brake lights is true but you said the brake lites stayed on until you took it out of reverse, which says the brake light is getting power from somewhere when the lever is in reverse, do the brake light s come on when you put it in reverse? If not I'm going to have to go to my shop and get a wiring diagram I'm trying to do this from memory, Which is not a good way to do wiring.

Later 35terraplane
Old 09-30-2010, 03:58 PM

Last photo:

Back up lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350chevypower
Hi on my 89SBC s15 when i put my transmission into reverse my reverse lights dont come on but my brake lights stay on. In drive the brake lights come off and dont come back on until i touch the brake. When headlights are on its the same thing... reverse= no reverse lights but brake lights stay on put it out of reverse, brake lights come off. Is there a switch thats bad i should be aware of or bad wiring somewhere? I dont think it could be wiring tho if everything else works?
I just asked in another post if the brake lights came on so if you put it in reverse, you said they did so somewhere you are feeding the bake lights when the car is in reverse.I would start at the backup switch, Take the plug off the switch then with a ohms meter check the power side or where the power comes in to the yellow, or dark green wire coming out of the light plug on the column with the car in reverse. if the meter moves , then check the other side of the switch, you can do either one first, if there is no movement I would say you have a short some how to the bake light. You are going to have to disconnect the battery and have the key on. so again check other side of backup switch, no movement, check dark green wire at light plug if movement I would say switch is bad, also check other side of switch when in reverse if no movement then I'm sure it is switch. If there is movement I would adjust switch until you have movement in neutral or park only , on the safety switch then go back to the other side check again with car in reverse if movement across terminals and none on yellow or dark green wire you should be ok.

Later 35 terraplane
Old 09-30-2010, 04:55 PM

Last photo:

Thank u all for the much needed info... Indeed it turned out to be just the switch! I tried adjusting it and got nothing checked for power on the drk green wire got movement but nothign on the other side. Double checked with my mech and he agreed. Went down to NAPA put a new switch in and voila! works again...... thanks again guys
Old 09-30-2010, 05:08 PM

Last photo:

back up light

Glad I could Help. Wiring is preety easy and break it down to small sections, and don't assume anything. it best to have a wiring diagram.

Later 35terraplane
Old 10-01-2010, 08:31 AM

Last photo:

wiring diagram

True words about the need for a wiring diagram. Just finished a rewire i thought was going to take a week which ended up a 4 week job. A 67 Mustang diagram from the net was true down to the last wire with colour codes matching. Studied it for weeks, but the end result is all good. Got to have everything going for you, lots of coffee. + fuses and be able to fit under the dash with your head jammed in there.
cheers. Al.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.