No Reverse lights!!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2003, 12:49 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

No Reverse lights!!!

Hi,

I have a 1969 Camaro RS Convertible (327) with a 4-speed manual. I pulled my back-up lights and the connectors are just dangling. It looks like there is no infrastructure for backup lights anywhere in the vehicle.

I checked the wiring harness going to the brake lights but it doesn't look like there is any conection to the back-up lights.

How can I 'rig-up' the lights to pass inspection? Is there some sort of 'switch' built into the transmission or will I have to fabricate one?

It seems like the previous owner did a bit of a hack job to this baby. Any help is appreciated!

alex!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2003, 09:39 AM
former member of HR.com

Last photo:

Try crawling under the back end below the bumper to trace the harness. I have seen back-up light and license plate light leads branch off the main harness underneath. You can also follow the harness back and carefully split it to count the wires and determine which color hasn't made it to the tail light socket (should be the same color on either side). Tie into the missing hot wire somewhere close to the back bumper and run the wire along the same path as the tail lights. You can use the cheap clear wrap-around harness lining to keep everything together.

You can also run a wire clean back from the one side of the reverse light switch (might be near the trans - I don't know how the manual trans switch is situated) along the harness if the harness has been literally "gutted", but I guess I'd want to rewire the whole mess if that was the case. Be sure the backup light sockets are grounded to the frame or the common tail light ground. Also, don't forget to check if your license plate light is still operational. If not, check it and fix it the same way.
Old 07-04-2003, 12:20 AM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

I dont know on a chevy

but on a ford, the switch is on the tranny......
you have to have back up lights to pass inspection???? uh oh....
Old 07-04-2003, 08:49 AM

Re: I dont know on a chevy

Thanks for the replies! :-)

Quote:
but on a ford, the switch is on the tranny......
I'm hoping there is a switch on this one. I took apart the whole console and shifter and can see the levers move when I put it in reverse gear. I don't see any switch though so I may have to rig up a butt switch of some sorts. I'll find out this weekend...

Quote:
you have to have back up lights to pass inspection???? uh oh....
How gay is that? The mechanic also said my front brake flex hoses were cracked. I got under the car the next day and they look like new...*rolls eyes*

Thanks,
alex!
Old 07-04-2003, 10:18 AM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

Man.....

You need to find you a good ol bubba inspector..........
Old 07-07-2003, 08:33 PM

Last photo:

I am looking at the '69 Camaro Assembly Instructions:
The backup lights are turned on via a switch that is mounted atop the Strg Column Asm behind the dash. It has two harnesses attached to it. When the tranny is put in reverse the reverse rod comming fron the tranny turns the shift tube(Encased in the Strg Column) and makes the switch.
The wires from the switch to the back up lamps leave the switch and go to a wire block under the dash and near the light switch. The block will be two lugs wide and 5 lugs long. Not all terminals are used. The block will have a black wire on the top right , below that is a white, then a dark green then a "T" (?), then a Light Green (This is the wire you want). On the left side is a Brown, Orange, and Yellow wires. The Light Green wire then splits and goes to the two lights.
Are you sure your light assembly is for a RS? RS back up lights are located in the Valence Panel under the Bumper.
One more thing, the Back Up Lamp Switch harness is contained in a big harness that also contains the Heater Switch harness. So you could go to the Heater Switch then back up. The Little harness you want is a two wire one that leads to the Back Up switch.
This is probably more than you wanted but there are several places it could be "wrong".
Hope this helps.
Vern
Old 07-08-2003, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vern Bradford
Are you sure your light assembly is for a RS? RS back up lights are located in the Valence Panel under the Bumper.
One more thing, the Back Up Lamp Switch harness is contained in a big harness that also contains the Heater Switch harness. So you could go to the Heater Switch then back up. The Little harness you want is a two wire one that leads to the Back Up switch.
This is probably more than you wanted but there are several places it could be "wrong".
Hope this helps.
Vern
Thanks for your help!

Yep, it's and RS, and I've made some progress. I can turn the shift tube on the steering column by hand and get 11 volts from the harness on top of the steering column near the firewall. The wiring wasn't exactly like you mentioned, but there was a two lug harness with a light green wire. I also traced this wire back to the trunk so I have the wiring infrastructure...yay!

The bad news...I have to turn the shift tube by hand. There is no linkage between the tranny itself and the shift tube. Is there a cable that needs to be routed? Is this only for an automatic tranny? Now I'm beginning to wonder if the 4-speed manual was also a hack-job...*scowl*

Thanks!
alex!
Old 07-08-2003, 02:26 PM

Last photo:

Hi Alex,
The parts that are missing from your tranny set up are the, (1) Rod-Trans Control Lower Lock, (2) Rod-Trans Control Upper Lock. The first is GM Part Number 3955767, the second is 3920215. There is also some small hardware that goes along with this. The lower rod connects to the 1st and Reverse shift Lever on the tranny. The front of this rod connects to an idler assembly mounted mear the Firewall. The upper rod also connects to the Idler and connects to the shift tube on the Stearing Column.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:05 PM

Hey Vern,

Looks like I found the kit I need at Firewheel Classics. It's called a Reverse Lockout Kit and comes with the two rods, some pins, and a bellcrank. Unforch, it's about $110, a bit out of my 'quick-fix' budget. Looks like I'll be rigging up a microswitch instead.

Thanks for your help!
alex!
Old 07-09-2003, 04:23 PM

Last photo:

Hey Alex,
This would be excellent junk to look for at Summer Carlisle (July 25, 26, 27).
Vern

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.