No room in the tin - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2005, 03:54 PM

Last journal entry: frame build
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

No room in the tin

I've been working on discs for my coupe. There is no room on the firewall under the dash or under the pan for the booster. So that leaves a remote booster in the trunk. So what operates the remote booster?
I was considering a morse cable but one with the necessary strength is huge. In the tech section someone mentioned a slave cylinder but didn't elaborate. I'd like to keep this a clean install.
Thanks for help

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2005, 04:55 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Slave boosters simply tie into the brake line somewhere between the master cylinder and the wheels. They have the vacuum pot like a convectional booster but the vacuum is activated by the application of hydraulic pressure when you apply the brakes, not by the application of mechanical pressure from the brake pedal like in the conventional unit. These remote units have been around for a long time - I have an old HydroVac from a 50s car on my Willys. Advantage - power brakes w/o the problems of the booster hanging on the firewall. Disadvantage - compact ones have only one brake line circuit so can't service both front and rear from a dual master cylinder. I have my HydroVac in only the front disk brakes and the rear brakes are only actuated by the manual side of the master cylinder. Here is a picture of the old one

Here is a new version avialble at a lot of rod parts stores

You can get dual units to service both front and back brakes (probably necessary with 4-wheel disks) but they become REALLY big and REALLY expensive!

Another solution to you problem may be to inset a conventional vacuum booster into the firewall - cut a hole in the firewall and sink the booster until its surface where the master cylinder mounts is flush with the firewall. Thus, most of the monster is inside the firewall with just the master cylinder hanging out in the engine compartment. Splitting the unit insde and outside like that may work. Paint the booster firewall color and they look great.

Finally you might be able to use a hydraulic powered booster - uses hydraulic fluid pressure from a power steering pump instead of vacuum. Here is one below a vacuum booster showing the compact design.

Avoid the mini vacuum boosters - don't have enough power for good brake function.

Last edited by willys36@aol.com; 05-02-2005 at 05:01 PM.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:13 PM

Last journal entry: Dash mods
Last photo:

mount it inside

My freind has a 53 chevy he mounted the booster inside on the firewall and mounted the master cylinder on the opposite side (back to back) works fine and cleans up the engine dept. as well and of course its cheaper.......just my 2 cents maybe this will help.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:32 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for replies

5" channel barely leaves room for my size 14s under the cowl so the in and out deal won't work. No power steering kinda leaves out the hydro unit. Double z frame only has 5" ground clearance so nothing under there. That leaves the trunk area and the remote booster seems to be the answer.
Thanks for replies and picts. Made things a lot clearer.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:55 PM

Last journal entry: Got the backside done (more or less)
Last photo:

Dumb Question...

Once in a while when I have thought about this issue I have wondered why you could not just remotely mount a stock (read cheap) booster/master and drive it with a clutch master/slave setup. Those clutch master cyls. are really small...
Old 05-03-2005, 07:50 AM

Last photo:

That is kinda what I had in mind if this is how remote boosters work. The ol fruitjar already on the firewall is going to see new life as the actuator for the remote booster. Providing of course that it has enough capacity to do the job. I can't imagine that it wouldn't given that It used to operate 4 drums juice brakes.
Thanks

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.