Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Suspension - Brakes - Steering (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/suspension-brakes-steering/)
-   -   no shift indicator (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/no-shift-indicator-254914.html)

knight hawk 11-13-2013 07:00 PM

no shift indicator

this is on a "Hot rod" ( 42 Ford ), the steering column is a chrome, smooth column, no name or numbers, AND it has NO place for the shift indicators !! Would an aftermarket column have no shift indictor ??? thanks

Mitchman 11-13-2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knight hawk (Post 1909994)
this is on a "Hot rod" ( 42 Ford ), the steering column is a chrome, smooth column, no name or numbers, AND it has NO place for the shift indicators !! Would an aftermarket column have no shift indictor ??? thanks

You didn't say the shift lever is on the column... It would be on the floor shifter if so equipt. You can get a sender and indicator for the dash. I wouldn't build a car without one, and some states may require one. My wife.... valet parking.... tire store grunt... no bumpers. Yea, they are a good idea.

knight hawk 11-13-2013 07:35 PM

SHIFT LEVER IS ON THE COLUMN. ONLY OPENINGS IN THE TUBE ARE FOR THE WIRING HARNESS. tHE PERSON THAT BUILT THIS 'CAR' DID many THINGS WRONG AND UNSAFE. I AM SUPPOSED TO CORRECT IT !

66GMC 11-13-2013 07:50 PM

IDIDIT Shift Indicators

Instructions

knight hawk 11-13-2013 07:57 PM

OK, I see the pieces, but can't open a PDF, for the instructions... how does the plastic needle connect to the column ?

66GMC 11-13-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knight hawk (Post 1910185)
OK, I see the pieces, but can't open a PDF, for the instructions... how does the plastic needle connect to the column ?

It sounds like the pointer attaches to the shift cone with 2-sided tape. The PRNDL indicator is screwed to the stationary housing at the very top of the column (turn-signal switch) housing.

Make sure that you have a current version of Adobe Reader installed on your PC, and then go directly to IDIDIT's website to download / view that PDF file.

You'll find it on the Resouces tab, under the Guides & Tips heading. Scroll down the page, almost to the bottom, to find: Column Add-Ons Instructions

Now pick the Shift Indicator with Housing Installation Instructions link to download the PDF instructions.

33Willys77 11-14-2013 07:06 AM

Dakota Digital also has digital indicators you can put on.

Mitchman 11-14-2013 07:42 AM

There are also electric ones that attach to the trans with lights on the dash.

The one from Ididit is dirt simple to install. A few screws hold the 'needle' and the housing in place on the outside of the column.

Welcome to hot rodding. 50% inspiration, 70% problem solving, 20% drilling holes.