No slip Powertrax noise is it excessive - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2006, 12:00 PM
Takes Guts To Cut One Up

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

No slip Powertrax noise is it excessive

I installed a Powertrax no slip locker in my 10 bolt Chevy rear for my street rod I noticed a pop sound on turns and I figured it was the locker letting loose on turns I now have about 1000 miles on it and it seems to get worse. This last trip to the Street Rod Nat's in Louisville was the worst on some turns it seemed like the rearend was coming apart then others little or no sound. I called Richmond gear tech and they suggested it was most likely normal due to the turn from a stop and the applied torque they said the locker tries to stay engaged to handle the torque but tries to disengage due to the turning differential of the wheel until the unit finally unlocks. They suggested I go back and do the install checks again which I have done and all looks OK. Has anyone else experienced this problem with a No Slip Powertrax locker? I even had it unlock going down the highway and the rearend surged to the right just like I lost traction in that wheel? If this is normal it @%$^&*(

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2006, 12:09 PM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

I´ve had one installed for a long time, it clicks most on tight turns and sometimes does a loud clunk if I pull out and turn. It´s never been a problem and I reckon you must check it if it "unlocks" going straight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2006, 12:47 PM

Last photo:

Mine did it around turns for the first 50-100 miles , now you don't even know it's there. Maybe install the lighter springs.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:03 AM

Last photo:

I feel mine lock back up when the truck straightens out after backing out of my driveway and I feel it in turns sometimes but have no issues powering out of a corner or when down shifting to jump up and run around somebody on the highway..I have a gm 10 bolt with the 8.5 ring gear and have put about 5000 miles on mine with none of the problems you describe.I have 572hp and 539 ft pound of torque and I don't drive like a little old lady so I don't think too much torque is causing the problem. What do you have for a rear suspension?If it is leaf spring suspension without traction bars it may be reacting to spring wrap or maybe an axle bearing going out or a brake dragging that is making it unlock on that side.On a power trax the slow side unlocks.You definitely have a problem that is not normally associated with the power trax locker.Be sure to keep us posted on what you find.If you put it on jack stands with the tires still on it,you should be able to rotate the tire backward and it will unlock then re lock when turned forward.it should work the same on both sides.

Last edited by DOUBLEDICK; 08-09-2006 at 02:08 AM.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:38 AM
Takes Guts To Cut One Up

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLEDICK
I feel mine lock back up when the truck straightens out after backing out of my driveway and I feel it in turns sometimes but have no issues powering out of a corner or when down shifting to jump up and run around somebody on the highway..I have a gm 10 bolt with the 8.5 ring gear and have put about 5000 miles on mine with none of the problems you describe.I have 572hp and 539 ft pound of torque and I don't drive like a little old lady so I don't think too much torque is causing the problem. What do you have for a rear suspension?If it is leaf spring suspension without traction bars it may be reacting to spring wrap or maybe an axle bearing going out or a brake dragging that is making it unlock on that side.On a power trax the slow side unlocks.You definitely have a problem that is not normally associated with the power trax locker.Be sure to keep us posted on what you find.If you put it on jack stands with the tires still on it,you should be able to rotate the tire backward and it will unlock then re lock when turned forward.it should work the same on both sides.
Well I did notice when I jacked it up to check the operation that I do have a brake on the passenger side dragging I put new axle bearings in when I installed. I am still wondering what is going on I do have dual leaf springs the Richmond gear tech suggested a bent torque tube but everything looked good. I may just have to bite the bullet and pull the gas tank and check it out.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:56 AM

Last photo:

To check and see if it is spring wrap clamp the springs together about 6 inches in front of the rear end.We used to do this in the 70's to help control spring wrap when not running slapper bars.If doing that helps then traction bars are the answer.To make the clamps we just used flat 1/4 inch strap with holes drilled in it and bolted them together over the springs.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:07 AM
Takes Guts To Cut One Up

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLEDICK
To check and see if it is spring wrap clamp the springs together about 6 inches in front of the rear end.We used to do this in the 70's to help control spring wrap when not running slapper bars.If doing that helps then traction bars are the answer.To make the clamps we just used flat 1/4 inch strap with holes drilled in it and bolted them together over the springs.
Is this different than the alignment clamps that re currently on the springs?
Old 08-09-2006, 07:18 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A T 25
I installed a Powertrax no slip locker in my 10 bolt Chevy rear for my street rod I noticed a pop sound on turns and I figured it was the locker letting loose on turns I now have about 1000 miles on it and it seems to get worse. This last trip to the Street Rod Nat's in Louisville was the worst on some turns it seemed like the rearend was coming apart then others little or no sound. I called Richmond gear tech and they suggested it was most likely normal due to the turn from a stop and the applied torque they said the locker tries to stay engaged to handle the torque but tries to disengage due to the turning differential of the wheel until the unit finally unlocks. They suggested I go back and do the install checks again which I have done and all looks OK. Has anyone else experienced this problem with a No Slip Powertrax locker? I even had it unlock going down the highway and the rearend surged to the right just like I lost traction in that wheel? If this is normal it @%$^&*(

The axle on the outside of the turn is the one that unlocks. An axle can turn faster than the carrier but never slower. The only "differential action" is the free wheeling of the outside axle. If you have power applied slightly, then it cannot unlock in a turn.

Slight acceleration in a turn causes the "diff" to try to stay locked. You only alternative is coast around corners or accelerate briskly to skid/squeel the inside tire. Lighter cars seem to have more of a problem.

Your surging to the right does not seem logical since in a straight line an axle cannot turn faster than the carrier. I am not suggesting that you didn't have a problem, only that the "diff" shouldn't cause it.

I know several people that are disappointed with the driveability, especially in wet/slippery conditions. Personally I don't like them for true street operation. I'll stick with some form of limited slip.

edited:

CLAMPS.... I always use 1/2 inch thick bar stock and 3/8 grade 8 bolts right next to the leaves and clamp the front leaves so that the leaf spring acts like a lift bar. Stop tightening when the bar stock starts to flex.

NOISE.... you will hear the popping sometimes worse than other times. That is the "gear teeth" slipping into each other.

www.readershotrods.com

Last edited by xntrik; 08-09-2006 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:48 AM

Last photo:

Xntrix is right it is the outside wheel that unlocks.Don't know what I was thinking.Thanks Xntrix last thing I want is to give bad info.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:20 AM
Takes Guts To Cut One Up

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xntrik
The axle on the outside of the turn is the one that unlocks. An axle can turn faster than the carrier but never slower. The only "differential action" is the free wheeling of the outside axle. If you have power applied slightly, then it cannot unlock in a turn.

Slight acceleration in a turn causes the "diff" to try to stay locked. You only alternative is coast around corners or accelerate briskly to skid/squeel the inside tire. Lighter cars seem to have more of a problem.

Your surging to the right does not seem logical since in a straight line an axle cannot turn faster than the carrier. I am not suggesting that you didn't have a problem, only that the "diff" shouldn't cause it.

I know several people that are disappointed with the driveability, especially in wet/slippery conditions. Personally I don't like them for true street operation. I'll stick with some form of limited slip.

edited:

CLAMPS.... I always use 1/2 inch thick bar stock and 3/8 grade 8 bolts right next to the leaves and clamp the front leaves so that the leaf spring acts like a lift bar. Stop tightening when the bar stock starts to flex.

NOISE.... you will hear the popping sometimes worse than other times. That is the "gear teeth" slipping into each other.

www.readershotrods.com
I have checked most everything suggested so far and it all checks our OK the sound it makes when the outside wheel unlocks is Loud! if it was a slight click like has been described there would be no concern. I just cant seem to justify why my set up is different it is on a 1925 4 door sedan with parallel leaf springs rear and front it is quite short so the noise or and movement is easily felt. Speaking of felt you can actually feel the unit unlock with a thunk! and it does change according to the degree of turn and the speed. I am quite sure it is all installed correctly and there were new bearings installed in the carrier. It is pretty bad when people turn and look when you make a turn!
Old 08-10-2006, 10:29 AM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A T 25
I have checked most everything suggested so far and it all checks our OK the sound it makes when the outside wheel unlocks is Loud! if it was a slight click like has been described there would be no concern. I just cant seem to justify why my set up is different it is on a 1925 4 door sedan with parallel leaf springs rear and front it is quite short so the noise or and movement is easily felt. Speaking of felt you can actually feel the unit unlock with a thunk! and it does change according to the degree of turn and the speed. I am quite sure it is all installed correctly and there were new bearings installed in the carrier. It is pretty bad when people turn and look when you make a turn!

Light short coupled cars have a greater problem, as you know. The real solution is a limited slip.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.