No Spak MSD 6AL Setup 402 BBC - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2004, 07:03 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Thumbs down No Spark MSD 6AL Setup 402 BBC

I have been beating my head against the car for a couple of days now. I am hoping someone can give me a couple more ideas of what to check.

I just picked up a 1967 Camaro with a 402 BBC. We have had the car for a week. Started fine but seemed to drain the battery when we drove it.

Saturday we took the car out for a little cruise. 2 blocks from the house, we lost the fire. We coasted to a stop. We tried to start it an we had a major backfire out the tail pipes. After the initial shock, we tried to start again and it turns over fine but never starts. We filled the tank with gas (just in case) and we still get no spark. The starter turns over fine but it never fires.

We then pushed the car back home. We took out a plug and turned the engine over and no spark.

We have an MSD 6AL box, MSD Pro Billet Distributor, MSD Blaster 2 coil, Powermaster XS Starter. The wiring looked a mess but we downloaded all of the MSD docs and tried to follow everything and it looks like it is wired correct.

We did the MSD test with the Coil and moving the 2 wires from the distributor and no spark from the coil wire that we removed from the distributor. We do have power to the small red wire from the ignition when the key is on. We have constatnt power from the battery on the big red wire.

We changed the coil to a new one and still nothing. I could not find a single ground wire on the car. I ran new grounds from the body to the frame, frame to engine. Still nothing.

I called MSD and they just said send in the 6AL box and they will get to it in 3 weeks to look at it. I cannot believe that this would go bad.

I looked at all of the posts I could find on this forum and it sounds like others have had this problem.

I am by no means a wiring expert. I just don't know where to go from here.

Another strange thing is the GEN light on the dash stays lit very bright when the key is on and has done that since we have the car and it was running.

I know this is a long post but I wanted to be detailed as possible to try and find a solution.

Thanks for any help.

Advertisement

Last edited by Pinsky; 08-16-2004 at 08:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2004, 07:19 AM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

Arrow

Several of the Cobra owners I know run MSD boxes and they carry a second box because they fail regularly enough. One thing to check prior to sending it off is to pull the rev limiter chip, when they fail you can lose all spark. If you have spark after removing it your rev limiter failed, just get a new one and be careful with the r's until it's installed. The charge light sounds like a wiring problem that may be caused by any number of things, different alternator, aftermarket gauge set or evn a broken or disconnected wire in that circuit. The way a charge light works is that it gets power from the switch and grounds through the alternator and when the alternator starts charging and feeds power back to the light it goes out (positive on both sides of the light). Use a volt meter to check charging when you get it lit up again.
Old 08-22-2004, 07:28 AM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

If the car had no ground straps it could have fried something trying to find ground. Go get you a junkyard HEI to chunk in there and sent the box off to get tested. I bet it's toast.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.