Hot Rod Forum banner

No Spark!!!!!!

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  farna 
#1 ·
I have a '60 Rambler Ambassador Super with a 327 2 barrel in it.
I can't get any spark. :confused:
I have replaced the coil, points, condensor, distributor cap, the rotor is fine, tried a good balast resistor.
I can't get any spark at all. I thought it could be the wire off of the coil so I put it on a truck and the truck fired right up.
I tried to clean the contacts on the ballast and any other connections I could think of but no luck. :sweat:
I came here to seek advice. :embarrass
I do not have a shop manual for it yet and wanted to get it up on my own, but I have to get some help. Thank you.
Mr AMC :thumbup:

#3 ·
I checked voltage to the pos of the coil and have it. (dummy light)
I checked on the ballast as well.
I went from battery ground to component nad with the key on, I have the voltage across the coil.
I adjusted the points.I,m just not sure if it is the start button or not.
I just started and want to get it tunning first.
I spray ether into the carb to try to get just something. but nothing.

#4 ·
I Have Spark

I adjusted my points and checked the distributor wire and I have spark now.
I am just learning this stuff and have a big start. now to fix the gas filler tube and then jump the battery and try to get her started.
Thanks for the help guys.

#5 ·
Glad to see you are making headway....Just a hint though....Don't start a new thread for each post.......I merged them together......

If you have a different problem, start a new thread for that...thanks

#8 ·
It's running now

After I replaced the coil, points, condenser, distributor cap, battery cables (pos and neg), and spark plug wires. It still wouldnt run.
I checked spark off of the coil and had it there. but not on any plug wires. The rotor was good.
The problem was that the spring tip instde the cap wasn't there. I took the one out of the old cap and it fired right up. The other things I replaced needed to be replaced anyway, but I just did them first before I checked the distributor cap.
The transmission even works.
Not bad for a junk yard tow away, huh.

#9 ·
Not bad at all! That will be a cool car too. The big Ambassador was kind of classy if you ask me, especially if it has the continental spare tire and twin antennas on the back. I think the 60 has some small tail fins too.

You might want the replace the carb with a newer model Holley 600. The stock one is just a 450, and those things only got about 15-16 mpg. Lots of low end torque with the little carb, but I think gas mileage would even improve with something a bit bigger. At least it's a standard Holley bolt pattern!

Before you ask, there are no speed parts for that engine. It's a good reliable and smooth engine when running right, and should have plenty power for that Ambo. About the only thing you can do other than change the carb is get the stock cam reground to something a bit better, but you won't need that for a cruiser.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.