No spark - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2010, 10:33 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

No spark

quick background on the truck, its a 355 chevy thats about 10,000 miles old. the only thing i re used from the old motor was the distributor because it was working fine. my problem seems to only occur when the motor gets too hot. my water pump seems like its on its way out because something weird has been happening lately on hot days, if i let the truck idle for too long(especially with the a/c running) the truck will get up to about 200* which is hot, this thing runs at 150-160 at normal operating temp with the fat radiator and 160* t-stat i have in it. heres where it gets kinda funny, the truck will run fine and cool off once i get some wind over the grill, but if i kill the motor at this temperature it will not start untill i let the motor cool down to 150-160*. sometimes when if it does start up at around 170* or so it will start with a loud knocking sound a few times, it alost sounds like its in the exhaust, not unlike a large header leek, it goes away quickly after the motors starts running better. this has left me stranded for a while several times but it always starts back up. the other day i was offroading and i saw the tmeperaure up to about 210* so i rushed to get the truck back on the road and get some wind over the radiator. once i got the truck rolling i looked at the air fuel guage and it seemed like it was running lean, it started knocking pretty hard like imentioned above and died, wouldn't start again, has been sitting for days, still wont start, it has no spark, every now and then it may spark once or twice and give me a sputter but for the most part its not sparking.

so my main question is this, what is there to even go bad in one of these late model efi distributors? is there any bearings known to wear out or anything like that or should i be fine with just changing the electronics out and throwing a new cap and rotor on and calling it new?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2010, 11:49 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

First off, 200 degrees is not hot. It`s not running hot until it gets to 240 and better. Secondly, what thermostat are you using? You should be using a 180. 160 is far too cool, especially with A/C because the fans job when the vehicle is stopped is to pull the heat off the A/C condensor as well as the radiator so it`s supposed to get hotter when sitting still. Yes you can replace the parts in the distributor rather easily. Make sure you use heat compound under the module or you`ll cook it in quick order. Is the vac advance connected to a full time vac source or a part time? Are the fuel lines ran away from any source of heat? I would check it for vacuum leaks and I would make sure it`s not running too lean. How you discribe makes me think it`s popping back through the exhaust, the distributor going out can cause this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.