No spark, please help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2007, 06:19 PM

Last journal entry: A years worth of catching up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

No spark, please help

I've got a '69 Camaro RS with a 350 & HEI ignition, and I can't get spark. I've done everything I know to do, and still...nothin' so I need some help. Here's where we stand:

1) The hot lead from the ignition switch carries 12V when the key is on and 0V when its off. I had to fix this because the previous owner had a cutoff switch in place that was messing it up, and so it was a constant 12V no matter what somehow. I bypassed that and now the wire that connects to the BAT terminal on the distributor seems to work correctly.

2) I tested the coil according to some troubleshooting online, and it was bad. They said it should read 6-30K ohms across the rotor button & the BAT wire, as well as 6-30K across the rotor button & Ground. It read correctly to ground, but showed infinite to the bat terminal. So, I went & bought a new Accel super coil. I tested it the same way to make sure I hadn't messed up somehow on the other one, this one tested okay though. So, I installed it.

3) All my plug wires were brand new the last time I had the car running, so aside from a year & a half of father time, they are still new.

4) I checked for continuity between the spot on the rotor where the button meets and the end that hits the lead for each plug wire, it works.

BUT, if I put a spark plug in a plug wire and lay it across sheet metal, no spark. lay it across frame, no spark. lay it across the engine block, no spark. Call my girlfriend downstairs to crank it for me while I hold the wire with a jumper 1/4" away from the header, block, power steering bracket, and any other good ground I can find, no spark.

I even tried hooking up a timing light to all 8 plug wires to see if a pulse was going through the wires at all & it doesn't light up. I've done everything I know to do on an ignition system, & it still doesn't work. Ideas?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2007, 06:40 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

My guess would be the modules gone south, or the pick up coil. Also check all the wires coming out, make sure none of them are broken internally. Check the ground also.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:43 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Probably a bad module. Take it out...they can check it for you at Autozone.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:47 PM

Last photo:

I checked all the plug wires and the wires for ground bat & tach for continuity, they're good. and now for dumb questions...Whats the module? Is that the black plastic piece screwed down under the rotor when I take the cap off? And whats the pick up coil? For that one I can't even hazard a guess. How do I test the pickup coil once I know what it is? Is there anything I can do to test the module at home, or is it best to just take to auto zone? Should I just take 'em the whole distributor?
Old 09-09-2007, 01:46 PM

Last photo:

Ok, just got back from Auto Zone, the module is good. Now what?
Old 09-09-2007, 02:38 PM
84 stroked ss

Last journal entry: exhaust
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-E-BoB
Ok, just got back from Auto Zone, the module is good. Now what?
i would suggeust leaving the cap off and makingsure the button is turning
Old 09-09-2007, 03:48 PM

Last photo:

Yes, it turns. Is it possible that even though I test 12V when the ignition is in the on position, its not getting that 12V in the start position? I had to fix a rigged wiring job already, and the lead I ran it to in the ignition switch tests 12V on and 0V off, but I don't know how to make sure the wire I'm using gets 12V when turned to start also.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:04 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,062 Times in 881 Posts
Put the plus lead from your tester on the plus side of the coil, negative lead to ground and have your buddy grind the starter while you watch the tester.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:33 PM

Last photo:

FOUND THE PROBLEM! switch off, 0V. Switch on, 12V. Switch in start position, 0V!! Now, how do I fix that?
Old 09-09-2007, 06:04 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

This is the same thing a friend of mine`s 64 chevy pick up did, and I was going to say the same in this post but it didn`t seem the same as in his example. All I did was wire a serperate power wire to a toggle switch. This is the easiest fix, but not the correct fix. One advantage this has is you can turn the engine over without spark then flip the switch and start, so if you suffer from hot start problems, this eliminates it.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:36 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleVision
This is the same thing a friend of mine`s 64 chevy pick up did, and I was going to say the same in this post but it didn`t seem the same as in his example. All I did was wire a serperate power wire to a toggle switch. This is the easiest fix, but not the correct fix. One advantage this has is you can turn the engine over without spark then flip the switch and start, so if you suffer from hot start problems, this eliminates it.
I think thats what the previous owner did too. There was a mystery switch under the dash before, I thought it was an ignition cut off that went haywire because I couldn't cut the car off because of it. I bypassed it and had this problem, so it must've been supplying the 12V to the dist during cranking, and the wire I used instead was only 12V while turned on.

I went under the dash & found a wire that was 0-12-12, connected into it, and tried again. While testing for spark the other 7 cylinders seemed nice & happy, started runnin' with a plug in my hand. There's nothing quite as beautiful as the sound of an engine firing up for the first time in years thanks to your own blood & sweat. Thanks for all the help guys!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.