NO SPARK!!!!!!! WHY!!!!!!!!?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2002, 11:06 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post NO SPARK!!!!!!! WHY!!!!!!!!??

I have a 1978 pontiac trans am. Its been sitting for years and tryed starting it the other day to find it has no spark. So I bought a new distributer cap and roter, new ignition module, new spark plugs and wires, and a new coil. Everything in the distibuter is new and it still has no spark. There is power going to the coil from the battery wire that plugs in to it. Im just totally baffled and I could really use some help on this.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2002, 12:57 AM

Last photo:

Thumbs up

need to pull cap off and then spin motor over look to see if the rotor turns if it dont you could have a broke timing chain or broke cam or gear if it does spin hook a hot wire from the batt
+ side to the dist. cap wear it says batt then spin it over should have spark if not you still have a bad dist or coil let me know if it still does not work
steve
gonzales67@msn.com
Old 04-09-2002, 01:01 AM

Last photo:

steve agin did you replace the pick up coil in the dist.if not it could be at falt
thanks steve
Old 04-09-2002, 01:02 AM

Last photo:

Thumbs up

steve agin did you replace the pick up coil in the dist.if not it could be at falt
thanks steve
Old 04-10-2002, 12:19 AM

Last photo:

I tried the wire running straight from the battery and I checked to see if the rotor was rotating, everything is good. Im looking in to what you said about the pick up coil, that just might be it, thats the only thing i didn't replace on the distributer. I has to be it, theres nothing else it could be. I'll replace it and see what happens.. thanx
Old 06-05-2002, 07:11 PM

dont forget your ground without a ground your coil cant build up power, by making breaking your ground is how it sparks make a ground is builds power break the ground it sparks
Old 06-06-2002, 09:55 AM

You are dealing with too many things all at once. Make it simple to start with.

Check to be sure that when you turn the ignition switch on that you have power to the coil. If not, you will get no spark.....solve that problem.

Disconnect the coil from the distributor and put a spark plug into the end of the coil wire and ground it. Then intermittantly break the power to the coil. Each time you do that, the plug should fire.

If you get the plug to fire this means you have coil spark. Then move to the distributor. If you have spark, the distributor's job is to move the spark from terminal to terminal as the rotor spins. The breaker or optical trigger's job is to interrupt the power to the coil so that the coil is refreshed at the same time that the rotor comes around to each post. If you spin the rotor, it should cause the coil to fire the same way that interrupting the power to the coil caused it to fire. If it doesn't then the distributor is not interrupting the power to the coil. Find out why. If you get this to work, then move to the cap and rotor until you get it to work....check the spring load on the carbon in the center of the cap. It needs to make constant contact with the top of the rotor. This is how the coil transmits the charge to the rotor.

Be logical, move from simple to complex as you solve each simple problem, then combine them and you will have a working system.
Old 06-08-2002, 11:43 AM

let me know how everything turns out for you.I am having the exatc same problem???

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.