Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Electrical (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/electrical/)
-   -   No start (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/no-start-232187.html)

weekend warrior 04-24-2013 04:06 PM

No start

Help I have a 64 Malibu that won't start I replace the starter thinking that was the problem but nothing now when I turn the ignition switch all my grounds get power can anyone help thanks

lg1969 04-24-2013 04:33 PM

Have someone turn the key to crank mode and with voltmeter measure the S terminal on the solenoid and see what voltage you are reading.

33Willys77 04-24-2013 05:19 PM

How do you know the grounds are getting power? If that is so, there would be some big dead shorts - leading to a meltdown/fire if they were not fused.

EOD Guy 04-24-2013 05:39 PM

Did you check the fuse?

Here's what I'd do........

Find the Netural Safety Switch, it should be located at the bottom end of the steering column, should have a Blu/green, green and two purple wires coming out of it. The green ones are for your backup lamp and the purple ones are the NSS. Put a jumper between the two purple wires and see if it turns over if it does it's the NSS. If it doesn't turn over check to see if you have 12 volts on the purple wire leading to the ing switch, if you don't have 12 volts, it might the ing switch or the wire powering the ing switch (check the fuse)

Test 2:
Make sure the car is in park and the emer brake is on, take a screwdriver and be very careful, touch it to the large stud on the starter (The one that the battery cable is hooked to) and the "S" terminal on the starter (should be a purple wire hooked to it).

If the engine turns over, it's not the starter. Then use a multimeter and check for continuity between the "S" terminal end of the wire and Netural safety switch. if no continuity......... check the firewall bulkhead connector for corrosion etc...... if that doesn't fix it, run a new, temp jumper wire from the "S" terminal on the starter to the eng (not the switch side) side of the NSS. If it works with the temp wire you need to replace the purple wire from the "S" terminal on the starter to the NSS.

weekend warrior 04-24-2013 08:15 PM

Try the two purples and nothing just checked the purple wire to the ignition switch and my power probe shows ground not power

richard stewart 3rd 04-24-2013 11:02 PM

Hi
Do you have headlights? If so check the fusible links.
Rich

weekend warrior 04-24-2013 11:32 PM

That's the funny part when I turn the key all the way I loose my headlights then I have to remove the battery cable then everything works again til I turn the key. Any way you would know we're the fusible like would be

EOD Guy 04-25-2013 04:52 AM

Your fusable link, I don't know for sure, should be located on the driver's side, radiator support, factory splice. Find your external regulator and the horn relay. There should be a large red wire coming from the battery side, over to the factory splice, at the splice it splits into the horn relay feed via a short piece of orange wire (slightly smaller than the red wire) that orange wire is the fusable link.

weekend warrior 04-25-2013 09:19 AM

Thanks ill try that today

weekend warrior 04-25-2013 08:57 PM

Still no luck I ran a wire from the solenoid to the ignition switch purple and still no luck

vicrod 04-25-2013 10:42 PM

easy first

"All my grounds get power" What does that mean?
Start with the easy stuff.
Is the battery in good condition and fully charged?
Are the ground cable and hot cable from the battery to the engine in good condition and the connections are clean? Remove, clean and reconnect.
Also, even though a cable looks ok it could still be the problem. Happens all the time.

vicrod

weekend warrior 04-25-2013 11:13 PM

The battery is new so is the starter and the ignition switch. I'm a weekend warrior but I did check the basics

weekend warrior 04-25-2013 11:18 PM

When I turn the key to start my ground strap have battery voltage

EOD Guy 04-26-2013 04:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm not understanding your last post...... My ground strap gets voltage.

What are you calling a ground strap?
How are you determining that it's getting voltage?

3rd test:
Take the jumper wire you hooked to the "S" terminal on the solenoid (and hooked to the purple wire at the NSS) and touch it to the pos post of the battery, the starter should spin.

If it doesn't spin, you have a bad ground cable (should be run from the neg post on the battery to the engine block) or

a bad pos cable (should be run from the pos post on the battery to the large stud on the starter solenoid)

weekend warrior 04-26-2013 05:18 AM

I got a power probe that tells me how much voltage I got. The strap that's screwed on the fire wall and then connects to the block. I just bought a remote starter so ill try that. It's just weird that when I turn that ignition switch to start position I lose power. To get it back I have to disconnect the battery and connect back.