Hot Rod Forum banner

No Start! Help!!

826 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Billy Boy 
#1 ·
Hey all,

Having a totally frustratng starting problem that has already cost me 2 parking tickets!! Argh.

For background, we're talking about a 1964 Ford Galaxie w/ 390 postitive engagement starter.

So the car just won't start. I've replaced the solinoid, the starter moter, and I've got the battery charged up (my home charger says it's full).

I'm grounding the soliodio terminals manually, and all that I hear is a click from the back of the engine compartment (not the starter) and then my whole electrical system goes real low (interior light goes real low, and my electric rear window goes dead) This continues until I disconnect the positive battery terminal and reconect it. Then the eletrical system is back to normal until I try to start again.

What's going on here? I really need to this baby back on the road.

B

#2 ·
your problem is a bad connection, probably the ground. make sure the frame ground is good, then check the motor to frame ground . if all else fails, take your booster cables and go from the battery ground to the starter case. also make sure the connections on the battery and the starter are good. good luck.

#4 ·
What exactly do you mean when you say...

"I'm grounding the soliodio(sic) terminals manually"

What happens if you connect a single jumper cable from one of the large posts to the 'other' large post on the other side, effectively bypassing the solenoid?

Is there one or two small terminals on the solenoid?

#5 ·
Yup,

It was a bad connection at the positive battery terminal.

Not too bummed that I replaced the starter since the gear was pretty chewed up when I pulled it. But I couldn't believe how simple the probelm was when it was finally solved. I guess I learned a good leason. Alway start with the basics.

Thanks guys.

B

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.