noisy 350 please help - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2010, 04:49 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by adantessr
I always set the lifters on a 350 at 1 & 1/2 turns . I've done dozens this way and never once had a problem . Try it . You may like it .
well i put the motor back together last night with actually 2 new lifters (well 2 new lifter guts) as guided by colbalt it took care of the gushing lifter problem but once it warmed up again i could still hear the noise....and how do you get 1.5 turns on your valves i went .5 on all mine and the thing start shaking and shuddering and carrying on wouldnt stay running....vaccum gauge needle had the jitters ....took a .25 off each engine smoothed out vaccum reads normal.....so i havent the slightest clue how you can turn them down that much.....has anyone else used voodoo cams ....are they prone to make this much vavletrain noise?....if i find out this is what it is i`m getting rid of it

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2010, 07:41 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by untchable502
well i put the motor back together last night with actually 2 new lifters (well 2 new lifter guts) as guided by colbalt it took care of the gushing lifter problem but once it warmed up again i could still hear the noise....and how do you get 1.5 turns on your valves i went .5 on all mine and the thing start shaking and shuddering and carrying on wouldnt stay running....vaccum gauge needle had the jitters ....took a .25 off each engine smoothed out vaccum reads normal.....so i havent the slightest clue how you can turn them down that much.....has anyone else used voodoo cams ....are they prone to make this much vavletrain noise?....if i find out this is what it is i`m getting rid of it
Wow. Are you sure you were only just taking the slack out of the pushrod and not the lifter before you tightened the additional .5 turns . I have never heard of any lifter that wouldn't take .5 turns . I did have a set of heavy duty lifters back in 1970 that I put in my '62 Impala SS 327 with a new cam that wouldn't take more than a 1/2 turn though . I am only famiiar with stock lifters and totally unfamiliar with performance cams. Sorry if I gave you some bad info . I still stand by that I have adjusted doxens of engines with STOCK lifters to 1.5 turns after the slack is out of the pushrod . Happy motoring .
Old 08-31-2010, 08:07 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by untchable502
and how do you get 1.5 turns on your valves i went .5 on all mine and the thing start shaking and shuddering and carrying on wouldnt stay running....vaccum gauge needle had the jitters ....took a .25 off each engine smoothed out vaccum reads normal.....so i havent the slightest clue how you can turn them down that much.....has anyone else used voodoo cams ....are they prone to make this much vavletrain noise?....if i find out this is what it is i`m getting rid of it

Would'nt be because of weak valve springs or mismatched springs?? Installed at wrong height? I have a Voodoo 60103 and not had any problems like that. I have gotten some engine noise from the valvetrain at about 300 miles after installing, but that is normal-just going to readjust them this week. I have them set at 1 1/2 turns as well...
Old 09-02-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blownchevelle68
Would'nt be because of weak valve springs or mismatched springs?? Installed at wrong height? I have a Voodoo 60103 and not had any problems like that. I have gotten some engine noise from the valvetrain at about 300 miles after installing, but that is normal-just going to readjust them this week. I have them set at 1 1/2 turns as well...
so upon further investigation i have found one rocker nut really easy to turn...alot easier than the rest on the driver side...havent checked passenger yet....does that sound like a weak or broken spring??....maybe the inner one??...if so think that is where all the noise is coming from??...the new cam has alittle more lift than the old one
Old 09-02-2010, 06:21 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

You need to replace the nuts if you're using stamped rockers w/self-locking nuts.

If the rockers have polyloc-type nuts, they shouldn't be loosening because they have a locking feature to them- as long as they're correctly tightened.

That said, I have seen polylocs loosen after being well and truly hammered on by a bad lobe allowing way too much lash into the system. But that was the least of the problems...
Old 09-02-2010, 06:28 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
You need to replace the nuts if you're using stamped rockers w/self-locking nuts.

If the rockers have polyloc-type nuts, they shouldn't be loosening because they have a locking feature to them- as long as they're correctly tightened.

That said, I have seen polylocs loosen after being well and truly hammered on by a bad lobe allowing way too much lash into the system. But that was the least of the problems...
Personally , I'd go one step further and use the all steel self locking nuts . They cost quite a bit more but I just trust them a lot more in this application . JMO
Old 09-02-2010, 07:08 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Actually Big, a "polyloc(k)" is an all steel nut, w/an allen grub screw in the center.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:21 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
Actually Big, a "polyloc(k)" is an all steel nut, w/an allen grub screw in the center.

Thanks for clearing that up for me , cobalt . When you said polyloc , I was thinking 'nyloc' . Obviously not the same thing . I learned something again today . Therefore the day was not a total loss after all . LOL
Old 09-02-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adantessr
Thanks for clearing that up for me , cobalt . When you said polyloc , I was thinking 'nyloc' . Obviously not the same thing . I learned something again today . Therefore the day was not a total loss after all . LOL
those are a good idea but my nut isnt loosening its just really easy to tightened down doesnt feel like theres much pressure or resistance so i am wondering if you guys think it is a broken spring?
Old 09-03-2010, 11:15 AM

Last photo:

Go to the local parts house and get a new set of rocker nuts. There should be resistance even before the nuts are fully down.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:21 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMC boogie
Go to the local parts house and get a new set of rocker nuts. There should be resistance even before the nuts are fully down.
Ditto that ...Sounds to me like the nuts are no longer self locking . I found a set of polyloc nut for $28.94 HERE : http://www.pitstopusa.com/detail.aspx?ID=59662

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.