noisy hydraulic roller - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2009, 09:55 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

noisy hydraulic roller

Hi all,

I'm having issues quieting lifter noise on a retro hyd. roller 383. I have a question regarding hyd. lifters (most all my experience is with solid). I adjusted the lash to 0 +1/2 turn. Warmed engine (the warmer, the noisier) and let cool. I removed the valve covers and I can physically push on the pushrod side of the rocker (int. #5) and collapse the lifter. Without visually seeing damage, what else could be going on? Is there a spec. for lifter bore clearance? If this clearance is too great, would this cause the lifter to "bleed off"? Without measuring the clearance, I would guess it to be about .005". It doesn't appear to be much different than the rest, visually.

The lifters are Edelbrock Retro Hyd. Rollers.

Any professional input would be appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2009, 11:39 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

lifters

The blead off of the lifter is controled by the internal's of the lifter, not the lifter body to bore clearance.

Noisy lifters is a very, very subjective deal. All the Hyd rollers that i have worked on (retro, not stock) have had what most consider to be noise. They are not sewing machine quiet like there flat tappet brothers. You have the tie bars in there moving around, the lobe deisgn is different, lifter weight, etc.

How are you adjusting the pre-load, Engine running or static?? If you are static adjusting them are you using the IC/EO method???

Have you tried backing off to 1/4 turn pre-load???

Again if you are compairing this cam to a flat tappet hyd it will have some more noise.

Keith
Old 08-19-2009, 12:40 PM

K-star,
Thanks for replying. Trust me when I say "it's noisy". Embarrassingly noisy.

I've been all over the board with adjustment (static, running, 1/4 turn, 3/4 turn, etc., etc.). I am using the IC/EO method. I mentioned that the #5 INT. lifter is "compressible" when I push on the rocker arm, where the others are not. Is it possible for that lifter to be faulty or damaged without visually appearing to be? Is it possible that the oil passage that feeds that lifter is plugged? Maybe, I should swap that pair of lifters with another cylinder to confirm or rule that out? Thanks for the help.

Jeff
Old 08-19-2009, 08:08 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

lifters

Do you think all 16 are noisy?? Or just one lifter???

I have only ever used one set of Edelbrock retro hyd rollers. If i remember right i think they are made my Morel. Morel are one of the better lifters out there, but i did have issues with a set of them a few years back. The set i had was off the hook loud when cold but reasonable when warm

Keith
Old 08-19-2009, 08:47 PM
HR VIOLATION

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-star

Keith
my thoughts exactly. if it's just one lifter perhaps it's bad? since its a hyd roller I dont think it would be a problem if you took one off another cyl. just to test it at idle (ex: if the #1 is noisy swap it over to the other side of the motor and see what happens) before everyone jumps on me, I realize you shouldn't do this with a flat tappet cam due to wear patterns but I dont think it would be too bad on a roller, especially if you do it for a short time at idle.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-star

I have only ever used one set of Edelbrock retro hyd rollers. If i remember right i think they are made my Morel. Morel are one of the better lifters out there, but i did have issues with a set of them a few years back. The set i had was off the hook loud when cold but reasonable when warm

Keith

Well... Like you said before, they are not "sewing machine" quiet. It is definitely one or two that are the problem. I didn't get a chance to tinker with it last night, hope to tonight. If what you say about Edelbrock/Morel manufacturing the lifters is correct, I would say they should be a quality product. I'm going to call Edelbrock and see what they have to say.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS66chevelle
my thoughts exactly. if it's just one lifter perhaps it's bad? since its a hyd roller I dont think it would be a problem if you took one off another cyl. just to test it at idle (ex: if the #1 is noisy swap it over to the other side of the motor and see what happens) before everyone jumps on me, I realize you shouldn't do this with a flat tappet cam due to wear patterns but I dont think it would be too bad on a roller, especially if you do it for a short time at idle.

Thanks for the reply, SS66. I agree with you about swapping roller components. It's not the same issues as flat tappets. Swapped them from motor to motor, cam to cam, etc. for years with no issues. Those were solid rollers, albeit.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.