Hot Rod Forum banner

Non-flammable/explosive engine parts cleaner

7K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  joe_padavano 
#1 ·
I am looking for a solution to clean parts that does not give off flammable/explosive fumes. I am currently living in an apartment that has a basement where I can assemble heads and such. Only problem is the gas furnace is also in the same area and don't want to have any mishaps with fumes. I normally would use the parts cleaner I have at my parents but that is not an option since I now live over an hour away and want to be able to assemble heads etc without having to drive all the way back there. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
HOT Super Clean or Purple Power will get most engine parts clean. Same with Simple Green full strength. I use the Super Clean/water in a stainless drum at home. Heated with a simple 110 volt electric hot water element mounted in the bottom.

Works great for carburetors, heads, intakes, etc.

#3 ·
I think that every cleaning product is going to have a smell to it.......Going to piss off the neighbors Hell, my wife complains about the smells from our adjoined garage to our house. I think people in an apartment building are going to have a LOT to say about it, with good reason

#4 ·
The smell shouldn't migrate to the neighbors buildings. I live in a townhouse so I have an outside door and don't share anything with the neighbors so I'm sure the smell shouldn't bother the neighbors. If worse comes to worse I will get a sealed container and clean the parts on the back patio with the solvent and then go inside and rinse it off and oil everything up. any other suggestions besides the purple power, super clean, and green stuff. Im pretty sure all of those are available at the local auto parts store which is good.

#6 ·
The smell shouldn't migrate to the neighbors buildings. I live in a townhouse so I have an outside door and don't share anything with the neighbors so I'm sure the smell shouldn't bother the neighbors. If worse comes to worse I will get a sealed container and clean the parts on the back patio with the solvent and then go inside and rinse it off and oil everything up. any other suggestions besides the purple power, super clean, and green stuff. Im pretty sure all of those are available at the local auto parts store which is good.
I'd do it on your patio.. not indoors,, even if they can't smell it..
if you cause a fire your townhouse (condo)
will take others with it.. not worth the chance , imho

#7 ·
I've found that my "Cajun cooker", water, and dishwasher detergent works very well. And smells good too. Just set yer parts "stew" boiling, and go do something else, like hone cylinders, or something.
Also, a good used dishwasher works just as well, if not better. Just put yer parts in and turn it on.
(Don't use the one in yer kitchen, yer Ol' Lady will get mad) Won't damage any soft metal parts, and get's 'em nice and clean.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.