Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Garage - Tools (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-tools/)
-   -   Non-flammable/explosive engine parts cleaner (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/non-flammable-explosive-engine-parts-cleaner-227208.html)

zildjian4life218 12-15-2012 06:14 PM

Non-flammable/explosive engine parts cleaner
 
I am looking for a solution to clean parts that does not give off flammable/explosive fumes. I am currently living in an apartment that has a basement where I can assemble heads and such. Only problem is the gas furnace is also in the same area and don't want to have any mishaps with fumes. I normally would use the parts cleaner I have at my parents but that is not an option since I now live over an hour away and want to be able to assemble heads etc without having to drive all the way back there. Any suggestions?

hcompton 12-15-2012 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zildjian4life218 (Post 1623242)
I am looking for a solution to clean parts that does not give off flammable/explosive fumes. I am currently living in an apartment that has a basement where I can assemble heads and such. Only problem is the gas furnace is also in the same area and don't want to have any mishaps with fumes. I normally would use the parts cleaner I have at my parents but that is not an option since I now live over an hour away and want to be able to assemble heads etc without having to drive all the way back there. Any suggestions?

I used to work with a guy that swore by zep in big blue and yellow barrels. But i am not sure if its dangerous or not i would say yes. Since your working in other peoples work area better skip the engine assembly in the common area. If the people smell gas they will call the fire department and they will evac the building. Or any other smell they cant identify. Either way some one will be a first class jerk and screw things up for you best to keep the roof over your head and deliver pizzas for extra machine shop money for assembly and hot tank. If you get free pizzas give them to the machine shop guys. Sometimes its best not to save a buck.

And if you do blow up the boiler it will be your last cheap rental.

Maybe they will let you buy a shed and keep it locked up in the corner of the parking lot if parking is not an issue.

BOBCRMAN@aol.com 12-15-2012 09:20 PM

HOT Super Clean or Purple Power will get most engine parts clean. Same with Simple Green full strength. I use the Super Clean/water in a stainless drum at home. Heated with a simple 110 volt electric hot water element mounted in the bottom.

Works great for carburetors, heads, intakes, etc.

poncho62 12-16-2012 06:40 AM

I think that every cleaning product is going to have a smell to it.......Going to piss off the neighbors Hell, my wife complains about the smells from our adjoined garage to our house. I think people in an apartment building are going to have a LOT to say about it, with good reason

zildjian4life218 12-16-2012 07:28 AM

The smell shouldn't migrate to the neighbors buildings. I live in a townhouse so I have an outside door and don't share anything with the neighbors so I'm sure the smell shouldn't bother the neighbors. If worse comes to worse I will get a sealed container and clean the parts on the back patio with the solvent and then go inside and rinse it off and oil everything up. any other suggestions besides the purple power, super clean, and green stuff. Im pretty sure all of those are available at the local auto parts store which is good.

Dave57210 12-16-2012 10:22 AM

Been seeing a lotta good write-ups lately about using PINE-SOL full strength

gearheadslife 12-16-2012 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zildjian4life218 (Post 1623334)
The smell shouldn't migrate to the neighbors buildings. I live in a townhouse so I have an outside door and don't share anything with the neighbors so I'm sure the smell shouldn't bother the neighbors. If worse comes to worse I will get a sealed container and clean the parts on the back patio with the solvent and then go inside and rinse it off and oil everything up. any other suggestions besides the purple power, super clean, and green stuff. Im pretty sure all of those are available at the local auto parts store which is good.

I'd do it on your patio.. not indoors,, even if they can't smell it..
if you cause a fire your townhouse (condo)
will take others with it.. not worth the chance , imho

st3gamefarm 12-16-2012 11:41 AM

I've found that my "Cajun cooker", water, and dishwasher detergent works very well. And smells good too. Just set yer parts "stew" boiling, and go do something else, like hone cylinders, or something.
Also, a good used dishwasher works just as well, if not better. Just put yer parts in and turn it on.
(Don't use the one in yer kitchen, yer Ol' Lady will get mad) Won't damage any soft metal parts, and get's 'em nice and clean.

302 Z28 12-17-2012 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave57210 (Post 1623381)
Been seeing a lotta good write-ups lately about using PINE-SOL full strength

Holy sheet that stuff stinks to high heaven you whole apartment would be smelling like a restroom. I think Safety Kleen is non-flammable but I am not sure of the odor.

Vince

302 Z28 12-17-2012 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by st3gamefarm (Post 1623441)
I've found that my "Cajun cooker", water, and dishwasher detergent works very well. And smells good too. Just set yer parts "stew" boiling, and go do something else, like hone cylinders, or something.
Also, a good used dishwasher works just as well, if not better. Just put yer parts in and turn it on.
(Don't use the one in yer kitchen, yer Ol' Lady will get mad) Won't damage any soft metal parts, and get's 'em nice and clean.

Actually this is not too bad of an idea. I have used a heated solution of anti freeze to removed burnt and dried up castor oil residue from model aircraft engines. Usually an overnight soak will render the engine looking like new.

Vince

123pugsy 12-17-2012 08:30 AM

How about something like this:

Green 1-Gal. Odorless Mineral Spirits-GKGO75000 at The Home Depot

Edit: I zoomed on the label and it says: not a flammble liquid*.
There's always a "but"...

NEW INTERIORS 12-17-2012 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by st3gamefarm (Post 1623441)
I've found that my "Cajun cooker", water, and dishwasher detergent works very well. And smells good too. Just set yer parts "stew" boiling, and go do something else, like hone cylinders, or something.
Also, a good used dishwasher works just as well, if not better. Just put yer parts in and turn it on.
(Don't use the one in yer kitchen, yer Ol' Lady will get mad) Won't damage any soft metal parts, and get's 'em nice and clean.

That sounds like a Cajun recipe...:D:thumbup:

MARTINSR 12-17-2012 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com (Post 1623273)
HOT Super Clean or Purple Power will get most engine parts clean. Same with Simple Green full strength. I use the Super Clean/water in a stainless drum at home. Heated with a simple 110 volt electric hot water element mounted in the bottom.

Works great for carburetors, heads, intakes, etc.

I never thought about heating it but that Super Clean is some GREAT stuff.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/supe...-lastpost.html

Brian

123pugsy 12-17-2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 1623733)
I never thought about heating it but that Super Clean is some GREAT stuff.

Super clean degreaser review - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Brian

Wear a vapour mask with this stuff. It'll fry your lungs.

And use gloves too. It eats skin also.

Old Fool 12-17-2012 05:48 PM

heated sodium hydroxide, (super clean or purple power or others) =Same principle as oven cleaner ( sodium hydroxide).

Just be careful, the hotter the solution is the more reactive it is.
Eye protection would be very wise.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.