Non Posi to Posi-differential - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2005, 08:59 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Non Posi to Posi-differential

I have a locking from differential in my 1994 Grand Cherokee. I dropped the front drive shaft to make it rear wheel drive awhile ago, but I have one problem. Besides beating the living piss out of my transfer case, my rear end is not a locking rear. Is there a way, at a minimal cost, to make it locking? Also, I want to make my truck permantly a rear wheel drive. Is it possible, knowing I have to have a custom driveshaft made, to make it that by just removing the transfer case?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2005, 09:03 AM
Wookie

this is for a Dana 60 they fit most everything

Powertrax No-Slip Traction Systems - PWT-92-0460-3500
Powertrax No-Slip Traction Systems - PWT-92-0460-3500
qty.

Add to Compare
Add to wishlist

Image is a representation of this part. Actual part may vary.
spacer
PWT-92-0460-3500

$439.95
Estimated Ship Date: Today
Overview
Brand: Powertrax
Product Line: Powertrax No-Slip Traction Systems
Aftermarket Carrier Style: Gear-style locker
Cover Bolts: 10
Axle Shaft Spline Quantity: 35
Manufacturer of Axle: Dana
Carrier Material: Steel
Quantity: Sold individually.

Get locker-equiped traction with limited slip smoothness!

Differential, No-Slip, Limited Slip, 35-Spline, Dana 60, Each

The Powertrax No-Slip Traction Systems are the latest design in traction-adding differential technology. They combine the smooth operation of a limited-slip differential with the traction performance of a locking differential. A precise synchronization mechanism eliminates the ratcheting sounds typical of other locking differentials. Special gear and spring designs reduce the backlash, and, therefore, the driveline windup. Only ultra-strength material that is 67 percent stronger than titanium is used. Installation is simple because no ring and pinion setup is required. In addition, no special tools or oils are needed. Step-by-step, model-specific instructions are provided with every kit.
Back to Search Results

77 Impala
74 260Z (a Work in SLOW Progress)
69 Big Block Chevelle (long gone)
Semper Fi My Brothers
Old 02-15-2005, 05:40 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I am not 100% sure on this, your transfer case is most likely bolted directly to your trans. Therefor your trans will not have a tailshaft housing capable of accepting a slip yoke from the driveshaft. I think you would have to change the output shaft and install a tailshaft housing (may be mounting differences) or there may be a 2wd version of your existing trans, and swap them out.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:07 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

rick458 did a simple copy and paste of information for an axle that your Grand Cherokee was simply NEVER equipped with from the factory.

Quote:
As the Grand Cherokee matured, Chrysler continued to add new features and models. A 2-wheel drive version was added during the '93 model year,. . .
Meaning you CAN find what you need to do this right.

Your rear axle "should" be a Dana model 35c.
Your rear axle "could" be the Dana model 44.
Your rear axle "could" be the optional Chrysler 8 inch axle.
Go here to positively identify your axle.

Your Jeep could contain any of the following engines as an option.
The 2.5 liter 4 cylinder, 4.0 liter 6 cylinder, 5.2 liter or 5.9 liter 8 cylinder.

Your Jeep could also contain any of the following transfer cases.
The New Process- 208, 219, 228/229, 231, or 242.
Simply crawling under and looking on the transfer case for the identification tag will positively answer which one you have.
Or click here to follow the links to identify your transfer case.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:34 PM

Thanks

Thanks for the help, but I am still wondering if I can do this, now, what one of you was saying was to remove the transfercase and then get a different end to the tranny, what would something like that cost, and also how much modding and/or work is involved in this? Also, what can I still do to make my rear axle locking, I have the Model 44 rear differential, also, it is the same in the front. so how would I go about making the rear a locking?
Old 02-18-2005, 12:33 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

i wasnt aware that removing the front driveline damaged the txr case but okay. all you need to do is find someone with a Lincoln welder to weld your gears up inside your differential. known as a Lincoln Locker. end of story.

as for your tailpiece you will need on your tranny go to www.advanceadapters.com the prices are there too
Old 02-18-2005, 03:15 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

If you are driving this anywhere but on the drag strip, do not weld the rear spiders. It will not only be annoying but dangerous.
At "minimal cost" run through the transfer case as you are. If you do not want to run through the t-case, either replace the output shaft and tail housing or get a 2wd trans.
As for cost who knows. Call a trans shop and see what they would charge to do the shaft swap, search for a replacement trans and compare cost. There may need to be fabrication done for the swap.(that is half of the fun)
As M&M said starting in 93 2wd versions were sold, so you should be able to locate the parts to do it.
For your rear axle, I have not searched but with all of the off roaders that have the Dana 44 there has to be something available.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:23 PM

Appreciate all the advice. Now, 1ownerT, how would welding up the rear spiders be annoying and dangerous? Also, to answer bullheimer's confusion. The T-Case can be damaged by removing the shaft due to that the front drive shaft out put will spin with now load, meanwhile all the power, while origionally designed to be split in the gearing of the T-Case between front and rear, is going solely to the rear, causing the rear to wear quicker due to unexpected nuts like me doing this. Now, if the T-Case was to be a 2-HI, 4-HI, 4-HI transfer case(NP/NV242, known as the Selec-Trac) eliminates this problem by allowing you to choose, with the ability to dis-engage the front output.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.