Non-shrinking body filler for Corvette - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2003, 05:55 PM

Last wiki edit: Wiring diagram 1953 Chevrolet
Last journal entry: Spare Tire Dent Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 647

Non-shrinking body filler for Corvette

Does anyone have a line on non-shrinking body putty that would be suitable for filling 1/4 inch rivet depressions on the fiberglass body panel of a '68 Corvette header panel?

The large headed rivets that the factory puts on to fasten the fiberglass body panel down to the steel rad support cradle has been playing havoc with the paint surface of my 'Vette. The temperature under the hood and from the sun will swell the rivets and bubble up the paint surface in the summer and then will dimple the surface in the winter by contracting. There is a definite fight going on between the steel, the fiberglass, and the aluminum rivets and the paint surface, although somewhat pliable, has started to crack and lift. Someone suggested a non-shrinking body putty, but didn't have a name. This is the original paint and body filler over the rivets and I want to make this repair as small as possible as there are 20 rivet heads, 10 in each panel just in front of the hood opening and behind the headlight covers, so appearance is critical.

Thanks for the help.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2003, 06:48 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I have a 1974 Corvette Stingray that i'm glassing a 74 fiberglass nose and an 80 glass tail section to look like the earlier one piece Vette bodies. The fiberglass shop that I'm getting my supplies from gave me a 2.5 lb. can of "Duraglas" fiberglass filled filler for small holes, cracks and things like that. I had heard of this product on a Corvette repair site also. So far I like it but it hasn't been road tested yet.
Cost $12.50
Old 12-20-2003, 10:25 PM

Last wiki edit: Wiring diagram 1953 Chevrolet
Last journal entry: Spare Tire Dent Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 647

Thanks for the comeback Pony. I was able to do a search on the Duraglas and may be worth a try on a sample piece before I do the car. I'm still looking but thanks for the effort. Good luck with the '74 'Vette, sounds like a good project.

I enclosed a picture of the area in question to give you an idea of what I am talking about. Photo DSC1379 shows the "pucker" of the filler showing in the center of the picture and just to the left you can see the next rivet with a crack in the paint surface starting to raise up. My first inclination was to take a sanding board and knock the pucker off, and fog in the paint and rub it out. But then what do you when it sinks below the surface? These rivets are tight to the fiberglass and the steel rad cradle below as far as I can see and feel. Photo DSC1384 shows the overall area, when the car is put together, the hood surround is layed down first and then the front nose panel with the headlight surrounds is laid over, there is a depression in both panels where a large head rivet is inserted and drawn down to the steel rad and headlight cradles located underneath. As I said in my prior post, there are two rows across the front as can be seen in the pictures. Thanks for letting me bend your ear.

Please go to the "Gallery" for the photos that I indicated above to view. Hoping this works out!!

Last edited by alittle1; 12-20-2003 at 10:25 PM.
Old 12-20-2003, 10:42 PM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Duraglas is a good product. I've used a lot of it, never any problems. But I haven't tested it in those extreme temperatures.

Good Luck
Troy
69 ss chevelle bb conv.fresh frame off
26 T sedan street rod

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.