Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Noob needs some guidance...
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2012, 12:37 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Noob needs some guidance...

just picked up a 70 nova last week with a 327, someone put a lot of time and money into but the kid i bought it off of tweeked something and im at loss right now, im "assuming" i have a timing issue, it was straight piped and backfiring all over the place when i bought, i thru flow masters on it and that helped a bit, but once i hit about 3500 rpms it gets bad on acceleration and deceleration. theres a new edelbrock carb on it and a HEI distributor as well. last night i timed it AGAIN, warmed it up, plugged the dist vacuum line and set it 3 degrees past BTDC, a mile down the road it got bad again, so i checked the timing on the roadside and it was about 4 to 5 inches past TDC, so far that no adjustment to the distributor would bring it back down to the timing marker. what would cause this? possibly the distributor not aligned right? major vacuum leak once its fully warmed up? even if the TDC mark on the balancer isnt right how would it get so far gone once driven? any help would be amazing!