Northen tool mig welder ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2009, 12:18 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Northen tool mig welder ?

Just got a email from Northern Tool & Equipment, I've done business with them before and have always been satisfied.

There selling a Northern Tool Industrial mig welder model Mig-135, 22-135 amps, flux core, 115 volts for $349.99 and comes with a free $80.00 welding stand.

Anyone familiar with this brand name? Where is it made?
They also sell Hobart but the 140 is $480.00

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2009, 03:14 AM
0.....55.../100

I don't know much about Norther Tool welders, but I wouldn't touch a 115v mig of any kind. Your too limited by what you can do with it. Also, what's the duty cycle? 20%? That's 2 minutes out of every ten that you can safely use it. My recommendation for anyone wanting to buy a welder is to call up their local welding supply, get their price for a machine that fits your needs, and then shop around for comparisons. The local Young's Welding Supply close to where I live beats any price around, and they only sell good machines like Lincoln, Miller, and Hobart. They make the bulk of their money off consumables (gas, rod, wire, etc.) so their more willing to give you a good deal on a welder to get your business for other things.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:37 AM

Last photo:

I would save my money and buy a welder that you could add a gass kit on,also get the best you can afford and it will last a long time. You won't get discouraged as fast with your welding. If you can get a 220 one as they will weld heavier material.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:49 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,274 Times in 1,115 Posts
You MUST have gas in my opinion, there is no option. Flux core is for welding bridges and fences in my opinion.

As for the 110 volt, we do all the work in the body shop, five bodymen all using a Miller 130 or 135 and we get it done easily. You can weld thin tubing and light frame members as long as it's less than an eigth inch thick. But as CMR says, a 220 is MUCH more verstile, so if you can scrounge up a few more bucks and get a 220 you will be much happier down the road when you find yourself wanting to weld a frame.

Brian
Old 10-29-2009, 10:35 AM

Last photo:

First off even though he said flux core that actually is a MIG welder not just a flux core machine and includes the MIG regulator and gun, they just include a roll of flux core wire with the thing. Anytime anyone looks at buying one of these import machines it may be risky but if the price means it is the only way to get one then it might be worth it. Check to see where it is made, if it is from Italy (I think it may be from the makers of the now defunct Clarke outfit) it is not a bad machine at all. If it is made in China then you must consider that while some Chinese tools have become acceptable (barely) welders do not seem to be one of them and it probably should be avoided. Check it out and see where it is built if you can but for sure the best way to do this is to buy a Hobart, Miller or Lincoln and then you would be safe. If you plan to do body work with it then it may fill the bill and work just fine for you from a power standpoint but if your needs are for heavier metal then you probably need a bigger machine. It's easy for us to sit back and say "buy a bigger and better machine" but the fact is that sometimes budget constraints could mean that extra couple of hundred dollars could mean the difference between owning a welding and doing without, the trick is to be sure the welder you get will be worth what you pay for it otherwise it will be a losing deal.

Bottom line is if it is from China, not all of these little welders are, it is probably best avoided.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:22 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

I just bought a (slightly used) Lincoln Weldpak 100HD flux-core 110-volt for $200 CAD

Yeah, I really wanted the 240-volt 180 amp machine, brand new, on sale right now for $600 CAD.

Yes, I have ONE empty 230V outlet in the center of the front wall of my garage, which I had installed in anticipation of buying a welder. The problem is that most welders have a 10 ft cord.

I have 110V outlets every 3 ft along the wall.
So ... we'll see. I'll likely use the 100HD for a while, until the need for something bigger and better arises. Then I'll have both.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:26 PM

mig

I agree, I would not buy a welder made in China that's why I asked where it is made.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:26 PM

Last photo:

I have a hobart 140 that was bought from a welding supply store and I love it. Everyone said to buy a 240v unit but I wanted a 120v. That way I could throw it in the truck and use it anywhere I wanted. I will eventually buy a 240v unit but I wanted small and practical first(didn't have 240 in old garage, new garage does though). The other deciding factor is that I have unlimited access to a full weld shop 15 min. from where I live. I know I am very fortunate to be able to jump in the truck and weld pretty much any size I can get my hands on.

My point is 120v units are very nice so don't let everyone talk you out of it if that is what you really want. You just need to keep in mind the limits of the machine. I recommend a name brand but that is the only machines I have any experience with. It almost always seems to work out that you do get what you pay for.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:52 PM

115 volt

Thanks for the encouragement snorilz and I've already made up my mind on a 115 volter, took a few lessons on a Miller 125 and I don't plan on welding on any Rockwell 2 1/2 ton axles. Any heavy stuff I'll tach together and haul off to my local welding shop (15 min away) for finish welding.

I'm leaning toured the Hobart Handler 140 for $439.00 on ebay.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:09 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Murphy
Thanks for the encouragement snorilz and I've already made up my mind on a 115 volter,

I'm leaning toured the Hobart Handler 140 for $439.00 on ebay.
Ummm ... that price sounds kinda steep, even in Canuck Bucks.

I'd encourage you to shop around locally ... looking at something comparable. I'd venture to guess that you should be able to buy a NEW unit, WITH warranty AND local servicability.

I'm envisioning a conversation that goes something like this:
"I bought this thing on E-Bay, and can't get it to work right. Can you help me, please?"
Old 10-29-2009, 04:42 PM

Last photo:

I think that is what my unit cost from the LWS (local weld shop). I had been told that the welders at a weld shop are not the same as the ones you can get at home depot or lows. I was told they are a cheaper made unit just for those big box stores. I do not know if this is true or not, never confirmed or disproved it, might be worth looking into if you are going with the ebay unit.

I also recommend buying local. I don't think it will cost much more plus as mentioned you have someone to talk to if you have a problem. You are going to need to buy gas for it anyway from a lws.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:49 PM

price

The cheapest I've seen is the ebay welder for $429, the most common price I've seen is $480.00 but I'll try locals but I'm kinda out in the sticks.

Just called Northern Tool, their Northern Industrial welders ARE from CHINA...

Last edited by Carlos Murphy; 10-29-2009 at 06:01 PM. Reason: new info
Old 10-30-2009, 01:46 AM

Welder

Just found a new Hobart 140 mod 500500 for $370.93 from Sears.

Also found a "lightly" used Millermatic 140/auto set with 2 spools of wire and gas tank for $550.00.

Wadaya think?
Old 10-30-2009, 08:29 AM

Last photo:

I would look into the miller. You need to make sure that the person who has the welder is the actual owner of the tank and is not just renting it. If they do own it ask them where they get it refilled and check to make sure they will refill it. The last thing you want is a tank that you cant get refilled or you don't actually own. If all the tank stuff checks out then I would strongly consider the miller but try to talk them down a bit on price. Depending on the size of the tank, they are worth a lot. The oxygen tank for my acetylene setup is over $300 to purchase. I just bought a couple small 20ft^3 tanks for my Hobart but they were still $90 each. I wanted the small tanks for easy transport. When I get a big job to use the welder for I will just rent a bigger tank.

I really don't think there is much Difference in quality between the Hobart and miller. They are owned by the same company and it seems like half the parts in my Hobart say miller on them. Some will swear that miller is better but I am yet to see any proof.

Just to give you an idea, I spent around $300 more after I bought the welder so I have about $750 stuck in mine.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:03 PM

tanks

I saw the small tanks at Harbor Freight yesterday for $69.99

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.