Hot Rod Forum banner

northstar engine for rear wheel drive

22K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  69 widetrack 
#1 ·
Can I mate a northstar engine with a 700 r4 trans?

#4 ·
I did not know that. I've always wondered why the Northstar wasn't more widely used. Even in it's front wheel drive format it would make a decent power plant for a build. I've had a few Northstars and other than the typical problem of overheating that they had occasionally, they are a strong performer. I've checked on occasion and never found any performance upgrades other than a chip that could be installed, do you know if anything performance wise is available? Do you have a URL for the north south kit available?

Thanks for the information Vinnie.

Ray

#3 ·
The N* bellhousing is ALMOST the same as that used on the 60 degree V6 motors. The two differences are one bolt hole needs to be moved and the top of the bellhousing needs to be modified to clear the starter (it's in the valley, under the intake). Cadillac Hot Rod Fabrications sells modified 700R4s including the correct flexplate. Alternately, get a RWD N* and matching trans out of a RWD SRX or STS, since that solves the water pump problem also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.