Northstar vs. 500 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2005, 09:18 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Northstar vs. 500

Just a question. Somebody on board called Cadillac Northstar as "modern sleeper engine", that induce thoughts.
So.
How much potential have Northstar as hotrod engine, compare with old 500 big block, and where is possible areas of its use?

Sorry if I talk like Yoda, but now I would work without translator...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2005, 09:31 AM
GM Muscle

Last photo:

I am just guessing but I have owned a couple 300HP northstars. One in a STS and the other in a touring coupe.

Both were "sleepers" and worthy of being called a hotrod on there own.

They achieved this power from technology. I think the cost to make one faster would be expensive. I have no doubts a 300HP will kill the old Cad motor in a street race, but it sure wont pull a boat like one ! I think the old Cad motors at one time held the rating for the highest torque production car motor in its era.

So anything can be hotrodded. I think the Northstar would be expensive to do so. Be interested to see if anyone else has comments on speed parts.

Rich
Old 09-05-2005, 09:45 AM
Planet moving torque monster

Northstar=complete package

While the Northstar is not as raw as a big block anything, what I feel makes it awesome and the reason I agree with the "sleeper" term because it is the most powerful, most durable, well-mannered, multipurpose, least expensive power plant available. Now I can feel the small block Chevy fans grabbing their pitchforks over "least expensive" and the Lexus V8 crowd over "most powerful-well mannered." Let me elaborate. No, its not as inexpensive to build as a small block Chevy- lets face it nothings as popular and wide spread as that. (Sorry Ford fans), but you cant make a small block idle like a sewing machine, and have more power than the Northstar; and yes Lexus V8 fans, Your little (relatively small displacement) favorite is more powerful and will idle as smooth, but not for the price and is not as versatile. You can adapt a Northstar easily to other GM transmissions, and, in may cases the same computer will run the engine/ trans combination with a lot less harness modifications. I might be overlooking someone else’s offering but somebody post if you know of another engine that can make close to 400 horses, idle like a sewing matching and pass the stack 'o champagne glasses test, and can be used as easily with other transmissions besides the one it came bolted to in its factory offering , for less money than the Northstar.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:59 PM

Last photo:

OK, let me think, let me think. Whatwith type of cars? Old big block can be good performance powerplant for old cads (or any other fullsize), but how about Northstar? Yea, I post there pic of Northstar in '59 one, but I don't think, that it's a good performer...
Old 09-05-2005, 11:10 PM
GM Muscle

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaNate
While the Northstar is not as raw as a big block anything, what I feel makes it awesome and the reason I agree with the "sleeper" term because it is the most powerful, most durable, well-mannered, multipurpose, least expensive power plant available.
Not sure I would call it inexpensive let alone least expensive. It has to be one of the most expensive domestic engines available.

As far as hot rod potential. I agree with Mechanate about the transmission deal. Or at least it sounds logical But I am not sure about easy to swap into something. I know my NorthStar cars were much more than an engine. They were a system. I am not sure how much you can break out of the car. As an example the chassis suspension (strut valving) would change with driving habits.

I dont think one of these would be easy to swap nor cheap to upgrade.

Be a neat Street rod engine. Something I thought was odd was the car only had one nice valve cover. The back one is plain.

Something else I thought was wierd is the starter is inside the engine or under the fuel system. So you have to pull the intake/injection, etc to replace the starter.

Rich
Old 09-06-2005, 01:36 AM

Last photo:

I don't have a lot of input here, but I know a lot of guys use northstars in killer Fiero swaps so it's rear engine rwd light chassis. Also lots of dune buggies. Wish I could find the site again... these buggies will do wheelies in the sand with the caddy out back
Old 09-06-2005, 06:02 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

My wife's Caddy has the North Star and I'm impressed with the zip available when you kick it. More impressive is the 23.5 mpg she gets in her day to day driving and she has a heavy foot. On the interstates, using cruise and speed limits, it delivers a whopping 36 mpg. So for the cubes, it is about as hopped as you are going to get it and still be smooth as silk. Put it in a Cobra Kit Car and the earth shaking Cobra Jett would be left snorting and huffing in the dust.

Trees
Old 09-06-2005, 02:26 PM

Last photo:

I'm in the process of putting a Northstar in a 63 Nova convertible. I built a rectangle tube frame with Mustang suspension. I still haven't decided on a 700R4 on a 5 speed manual. The Northstar motor is about 30lbs lighter than the 250 six that was in the Nova.
Bob

here's a link to some good information
http://www.chrfab.com/
Old 09-06-2005, 02:35 PM
GM Muscle

Last photo:

Glad Bobc posted. There is the post we are looking for.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:32 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C
here's a link to some good information
http://www.chrfab.com/
That's the site I was talking about! Check out the projects page... it's got the buggie doing wheel stands in the sand. Cool!!
Old 09-06-2005, 04:27 PM

Last photo:

northe star

does not shine very bright hear they are cronic oil leakers between main caps and block possibly ther is a fix but know of many un happy owners who have spent big buckes to repair as engine must be removed to fix
Old 09-06-2005, 11:43 PM

Last photo:

Ok,Ok,so Northstar is a good performance engine, but I still try to understand: what engine is better for old big Caddy (not necessary '59): old big block or Northstar?
Old 09-07-2005, 06:55 AM

Last photo:

The early Northstar engines had some problems, mainly porous castings that caused coolant leaks. As far as an engine for a big Cad, it takes cubic inches for torque to move all that weight. One of the local guys here put a 454 Chevy with two four barrels in a 76 Cad. It looks like a factory install.
Bob
Old 09-07-2005, 11:04 PM

Last photo:

I check out specs of Northstar from CTS-V. 400 hp and 395 mmm, how it call..."units of torque"(I forgot name).
And underrated 400 hp and more thn 500 lb-ft (recall!) for 500. Yea...
BTW,how much weight Northstar? Weight of aftermarket 500 is approx 550-600 lbs.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:39 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightrider
I check out specs of Northstar from CTS-V. 400 hp and 395 mmm, how it call..."units of torque"(I forgot name).
And underrated 400 hp and more thn 500 lb-ft (recall!) for 500. Yea...
BTW,how much weight Northstar? Weight of aftermarket 500 is approx 550-600 lbs.
Sorry but the CTS-V does not use the northstar, it uses the LS6 corvette engine.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.