Norton Liquid Ice; Anyone have anything to say about it? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2006, 11:18 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Norton Liquid Ice; Anyone have anything to say about it?

I've been trying to work up the nerve to learn how to wet-sand and buff the new paint I did on my Caprice. The wet-sanding part doesn't worry me so much as the buffing. Needless to say, I'm a bit confused as to what product(s) to use (already have a variable-speed buffer). Now I know this is a subject that many people will have varying opinions on, but I've heard of Norton's Liquid Ice system; it seems like a simple way to go, but it seems to me that using one compound for three stages seems to be taking a "shortcut", for lack of a better word. Is this so? I was hoping someone could tell me if this is any good or "snake oil". Norton's stuff has been featured on Dream Car Garage, but I don't want to base all my decisions in life on a television show.

So, would this be a decent system for a beginner with limited funds? I'm not looking for a show-quality paint job, just to get rid of the obvious orange-peel.

Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2006, 09:56 AM
KING OF BONDO

Last journal entry: My little helper
Last photo:

Intruder, I think any of todays systems will work.. some will be faster than others and some a little more simple, such as the Nortons or System One... I have not tried the one product does it all yet, but i do have the system one kit and am going to giver a try on show car paint job.. for me that will tell me how good it really is... I wont be to that for a few weeks, so at the moment I cant respond on it.. I do know that Han from 101 uses System One and likes it very much...

I can tell you for certain, you wont go wrong with 3M, Mirror Glaze or Presta because I have used them and know they work very well... It is expensive to start up, but the products will last more than one job... If it is just one job, then the Nortons or System One may be cheaper as I dont know the prices of the systems

Lastly they are all pretty close these days so dont sweat the name brand as much really.. If you choose the Nortons system I dont think you will be unhappy.. I know the Hell raiser D71 liked it and so did his partner in crime Esty...
Old 07-01-2006, 10:00 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

One shop that I worked at used the Liquid Ice. They seemed to like it when I was there.

Aaron
Old 07-03-2006, 12:23 AM

Last photo:

You know, I think I'm going to try the Liquid Ice stuff. I just got done pricing the 3M Perfect-it system, and when I crossed the $200 mark, decided that the $80 Norton system will probably be good for me. I mean, as much as I don't want to cut corners with this car, the price difference is pretty significant at this point in my life. And as much as I hate to use this as a rationale, if it's good enough for Dream Car Garage, it should be good enough for me.

I'll post pics when the car is done, definately. It's a 1980 Caprice that I'm doing a two-tone with black upper and factory light camel (gold) lower. It's also the first car I've even painted (doubt it will be my last). I'm doing it a panel at a time; I got the rear quarter and passenger side door done last year and hope to get the rest of it. Well, the driver's side door is pretty much too far gone to save, so I'll have to wait until I locate a replacement for that.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:17 AM
Last photo:

My personal experience is that 3M's system is hard to beat. The Perfect-it III products produce a brilliant finish. First though you must wet sand with 1000 and a block, followed by 1500 and a block, follow that with 2000 and a block. Now the finish is perfectly flat with all orange peal, and runs removed. I have recently started using the Abralon 4000 grit DA pads and I am astounded at how much they cut the buffing time. The Abralon pads give the surface a dull sheen and when you hit it with the buffer the shine jumps out at you.

The most important aspect IMO is wet sanding and removing all 1000, and 1500 grit sanding scratches. I don't care what the rubbing compound says, 1000 grit scratches are very very had to remove with a buffer, withou damaging the clear.

Once you start doing it a little your confidence will improve. Just stay away from edges and raised body lines. You can come back later nd ht them with the edge of a wool pad. Let the weight of the buffer do the work, do not add aditional force, and keep it moving.

A just got a bottle of 3M's Perfect-It final glaze and I cannot describe the effect it has on final gloss.

Vince
Old 07-04-2006, 04:43 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the tips.

I guess I'm still debating in my mind whether I want to go with 3M stuff (that I can be pretty confident will be a good product) or Norton, that I still just feel that I'm taking a chance with.

Well, maybe I'll just bite the bullet and go 3M.

Can you tell me though, what is the difference between Perfect-It III and Perfect-It 3000? I saw this
on Ebay along with the pads .

This seems to be a way to go, unless I'm missing something.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:40 PM

Last photo:

If cost is a concern (legit these days!), you may wish to try Wizards finish cut. I can post on and on about the benefits, but I've heard they have a website. One mat'l, 2 pads, no wheel marks, deep deep finish. About $18/qt. I love it. Most of our professional suppliers carry it now. It works best if you sand like 302Z said. The better you sand, the better/easier it is to get to final gloss. I been usin the Trizact 3000 pads before buffing but they aren't cheap. You can pretty much do the whole car with one pad (well maybe not a Caprice!).
Old 07-05-2006, 12:26 PM

Last photo:

i used it and it on 2 cars & it work'd great, it was easy and the clean up is a plus

crestnetsales.com has the kit that inludes the 3 pads, etc for $67.00

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.