Nostalgia racing in CA central valley - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 08:23 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Nostalgia racing in CA central valley

Eagle Field is true nostalgia racing at a converted air strip in CA's Central Valley (about half way between Fresno and Merced, west of Hwy 99.) Normally they even have flag starters for all their racing. But for this Sat. (Feb 9) which is a big fundraising race to raise money for repairs on the shut-off area, they are going to bring in a christmas tree. Details are here Home Page.

If you are anywhere in CA, please try to get out and support this effort to maintain good old fashioned, run-what-ya-brung, drag racing. The guy who spearheads the strip and races, Rocky Phillips, is a great fellow and I got to know him through my wife's church. Everything here is a non-profit labor of love to keep alive the spirit of old time racing.

There is also a little treat in store if you click the above link. You can see Rocky's hand built twin engine digger make a nice smokey pass.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 10:08 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Dewey, good to hear from you! Been thinking of where have you been...
I will try to make it and I will certainly put the word out to the guys around here. That's only a little over an hour from home.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:32 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,076 Times in 959 Posts
Really! Good to see you Dewey! I would love to get out there, can't this time but hopefully there will be more.

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 04:54 PM

Last photo:

There are some fun videos on youtube of recent Eagle Field events to check out,it will take you back to the days when it was fun for all and a fat wallet wasn't needed to run.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:24 PM

Last photo:

Just got an email from Rocky and the Eagle Field fundraising race has been postponed one week due to track conditions (still too much dampness in the ground from winter rains.) The event has been set for Feb. 16. Unfortunately, I can't make the 16th myself but sure hope some of you can.

And you are right Brian. There will hopefully be many more events at this strip. Particularly fun for us older guys who grew up with this type of racing.

Also, Brian, totally off the subject but since your son is also in the business, thought I would pass along that my son, Vaughn, (who you met when we all went to the Half Moon Bay show) will be playing the Fillmore on Feb. 22. Sort of a nostalgia event of a little different nature. He'll be playing on the same stage as did The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, The Who, Elton John, Janis Joplin, The Grateful Dead about every a zillion other bands in the years since. It's a major milestone for the band so Dorothy and I already have our tickets.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:35 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,076 Times in 959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy View Post
Just got an email from Rocky and the Eagle Field fundraising race has been postponed one week due to track conditions (still too much dampness in the ground from winter rains.) The event has been set for Feb. 16. Unfortunately, I can't make the 16th myself but sure hope some of you can.

And you are right Brian. There will hopefully be many more events at this strip. Particularly fun for us older guys who grew up with this type of racing.

Also, Brian, totally off the subject but since your son is also in the business, thought I would pass along that my son, Vaughn, (who you met when we all went to the Half Moon Bay show) will be playing the Fillmore on Feb. 22. Sort of a nostalgia event of a little different nature. He'll be playing on the same stage as did The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, The Who, Elton John, Janis Joplin, The Grateful Dead about every a zillion other bands in the years since. It's a major milestone for the band so Dorothy and I already have our tickets.
I haven't been to the Filmore in years, saw the Stray Cats there. Awesome, that will be a great experience for you guys!

Brian
Old 02-07-2013, 12:34 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Can't make the Feb. event, but I'm shooting for the May event if things workout! Hope to watch Rocky make one of his smokey full 1/8th mile burnouts!
This is Rocky and me at Billetproof last August:
Old 02-07-2013, 01:35 PM
NEVER SATISFIED !!

Last photo:

Well, well, well, look who came out of hibernation ! Really glad to see you back here again. I hope you'll stick around now that you found your way back.

454 RATTLER
Old 02-07-2013, 02:01 PM

Last photo:

You Guys in CA SUCK!! Ya'll have all the cool shows and shops!!

Just kidding wish I could move there!
Old 02-09-2013, 03:03 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
Can't make the Feb. event, but I'm shooting for the May event if things workout! Hope to watch Rocky make one of his smokey full 1/8th mile burnouts!
This is Rocky and me at Billetproof last August:
Cool when you can Holeshot a Slingshot--
Old 02-09-2013, 04:20 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
Cool when you can Holeshot a Slingshot--
Only reason I could holeshot Rocky's twin engine is he wasn't hooking up! He finally hooked up, and passed me just before the traps!
Old 02-09-2013, 08:21 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
Only reason I could holeshot Rocky's twin engine is he wasn't hooking up! He finally hooked up, and passed me just before the traps!
Yea ,But we wont show that part ,we will say it was just yhe driver LOL reaction time.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:14 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

hole shot

the old timing lights wouldn't give you a red lite until the light shined thru the wheels and hit the elect eye again the second time . Joe Davis figured that out on his funny car mustang ,Colt 45 and ran moon hubcaps and wheelie bars to keep the light out , then he off set the front axle. so both wheels rolled thru, one behind the other , before he would get a red light. there are picts on the web of his T bucker altered, Jewel T with Moon hubcaps so some of the strips kept the old lites for quite a few years. When competitors looked at his cars,, they would ask and he said with kids needing braces and college funds he couldn't buy a new chassis. just keep screwing with his old one so he could keep it on the track at 150 mph.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:03 PM

Last photo:

Just got a note from Rocky saying the show is definitely on for this Saturday, the 16th.

And to wet your whistle, here is some footage from one of last year's events. For you youngins who have never seen flag starting...where's what it was all about in the old days.

There some great looking nostalgia cars in this footage...almost hard to believe the film is from just last year and not 50 years ago.

Eagle field on Vimeo
Old 02-13-2013, 06:30 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead1961 View Post
You Guys in CA SUCK!! Ya'll have all the cool shows and shops!!

Just kidding wish I could move there!
No, move to Nevada and go over the hill. Calif laws and politics suck and can be exceptionally stupid.

BB (Calif native)

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.