Not a bad tool box for harbor freight - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2012, 07:17 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Hey Mike, Are you going to the Shades of the Past in September?

John L
sorry for answearing you earlier than this,John but my E mail notification thing hasnt been working.......Is that in Pigon Forge??? I love it up there...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2012, 09:32 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Well, I just picked up a second 42/44" (extra 2" is the handle) roller box and a second 17" side box. Seems that it was time to get my work bench built. So I put them together with a 36" gap in the middle for storage and a spot to sit at the bench.

I don't have a frontal view because of the room in the shop to get the full 13' width of this construct! Here is an angle view which of course immediately started getting filled up with parts and tools.

I still haven't filled out the new 20 tool drawers but I am sure they will all get something hidden away in them!

I will add quad wall plug-ins later, after the Electical Inspector checks the number of sockets on the GFCI circuit. Being a single operator in the shop it is not a situation where I would be using more than the 6 sockets + one 50watt outside light/switch at the same time but Code says 7 total so I won't take a chance on him saying no to the layout.

Swiss

Forgot to mention that they have an advertised special weekend sale price on the 42/44" 13 drawer roller box for $359 right now. Will probably go back up to the normal $379 sale price after the weekend. Sears and Home Depot have also had 42" and 52" boxes recently on sale for around $450 or so but they do not have the dual ball bearing slides on the deeper drawers. The HF General units also come with rubber drawer liners which are extra on most of the other brand boxes.

Last edited by ScF; 08-25-2012 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:27 PM

Last photo:

What are some of the flaws with these?

With my usual experience with HF, the supplied hardware is always crap and needs/should be replaced.

As someone mentioned before upgrading the casters sounds like a good idea.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:18 PM

Stop by Sears and look through their Craftsman boxes, then go to HF and make your comparison. They always have one on display that you can open the drawers, look at the wall thickness of the drawers and the box. You could easily slide out one of the larger drawers and look at the internal reinforcement of the cabinet. Kind of hard to look underneath but the same HF will probably have an extendable inspection mirror that you could use to check out the layout of the frame.
Is it Snap-On? No and the price reflects that! Compared to the Sears Craftsman though I found it equal or better than most of what Sears had on the showroom.
Your call, your cash! Take a look and see if you like it. The casters are pretty solid and even have lube/grease fittings on the two swivel casters.

Swiss

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.