Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Transmission - Rearend (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/transmission-rearend/)
-   -   Not happy with transmission (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/not-happy-transmission-225762.html)

williambavila 11-05-2012 08:38 AM

Not happy with transmission
 
I have finished my 1969 Camaro build and I bought a summit racing tarnsmission T350. I have a sbc 383 with 3000 stall and 3.73 posi in the car. I drive this on the highway quite a bit and am not happy with the feel of the transmission both on city roads and highway. I am thinking a trans with a OD would help me out on the highway. What would you folks say?http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...19003578_n.jpg

painted jester 11-05-2012 08:50 AM

We need to know the problems? We cant suggest anything without knowing what you don't like? I would ask why you ordered a racing trans and then complain about driving it on the street ! Your using it for what it isn't designed for! Why not install an external overdrive and keep the trans?

jester

williambavila 11-05-2012 08:58 AM

It sounds like there is a busted part in the transmission in second gear. I am not at all happy with the responce of the car when I get on it. I have done the exact same setup in a Camaro I built years ago and it was a complete different animal. I was thinking a 700r4 or 200r4 like in my Grand national. I am clueless when it comes to transmissions.

williambavila 11-05-2012 09:06 AM

The transmission came to me with no hole for a kickdown,I do have the modulator valve hooked up and the shifter has been checked and rechecked to make for sure the linkage is perfect.If I leave from a dead stop it pulls great then as soon as it hits second there is a noise coming from transmission sounds like a ball bearing beating around slight loss of power then 3rd it pulls great. problem is in second gear. The highway problem I am having is to many RPM's I guess thats where the OD comes in.

painted jester 11-05-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by williambavila (Post 1607329)
The transmission came to me with no hole for a kickdown,I do have the modulator valve hooked up and the shifter has been checked and rechecked to make for sure the linkage is perfect.If I leave from a dead stop it pulls great then as soon as it hits second there is a noise coming from transmission sounds like a ball bearing beating around slight loss of power then 3rd it pulls great. problem is in second gear. The highway problem I am having is to many RPM's I guess thats where the OD comes in.

If that trans came with a modulator you need it hooked up and adjusted or if you bypass it you need to set the trans up for no modulator! Thats causing the noise and problems your having! you may have already caused damage! And there is no kick down! on those transes But they are set up for modulators!

Jester

williambavila 11-05-2012 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by painted jester (Post 1607353)
If that trans came with a modulator you need it hooked up and adjusted or if you bypass it you need to set the trans up for no modulator! Thats causing the noise and problems your having! you may have already caused damage! And there is no kick down! on those transes But they are set up for modulators!

Jester

Yes the modulator is hooked up to the correct source. It always has been.How are they adjusted?

painted jester 11-05-2012 11:23 AM

There is a small screw in the inlet you can set your shift points to your vacuum signal it could be set very easy on a dino! But on the street its trial and error Turn it slightly to the right or left see how it shifts turn a hare more and drive again till you like the way it shifts Dont turn too far or you will damage it!!:nono: If you screw counter clockwise the diaphragm reacts on less vacuum clockwise it reacts on higher vacuum>

Jester

E.Furgal 11-05-2012 11:47 AM

if the trans is a th350 it should have a kickdown unless summits bulder bypasses it..
now the th400 the kickdown is electric..
where is the modulator valve at the rear of the trans or on the pass side mid ship..

painted jester 11-05-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E.Furgal (Post 1607406)
if the trans is a th350 it should have a kickdown unless summits bulder bypasses it..
now the th400 the kickdown is electric..
where is the modulator valve at the rear of the trans or on the pass side mid ship..

Its a summit racing trans there is no kick down assembly installed in those trans's!! their built up with a racing valve body heavier hard parts and clutches and bands and a racing shift kit! They are actually pretty good trans's and hold up good at the strip! Ive installed many!

Jester

E.Furgal 11-05-2012 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by painted jester (Post 1607438)
Its a summit racing trans there is no kick down assembly installed in those trans's!! their built up with a racing valve body heavier hard parts and clutches and bands and a racing shift kit! They are actually pretty good trans's and hold up good at the strip! Ive installed many!

Jester

good to know.. never used one..
always tci or local.. the 2004r will mostlikely be ckperformance.com in n.y. for my SS if I can squeeze the budget enough..

spinn 11-05-2012 05:26 PM

The early grand nationals had a 350c with about 2800rpm stall. They drove pretty well even on the highway. What are you looking to change?

My truck has a 350c, gnx 3000 stall, with 3.73 gears and 28" tire. The truck rides smooth at 65mph at 2800rpm. Not a big deal with a 3000 stall or gear, but it performs like a well thought out muscle car. A B+M rvshift kit and lock up switch system rounds it out.

632Mantis 11-18-2012 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by williambavila (Post 1607329)
The transmission came to me with no hole for a kickdown,I do have the modulator valve hooked up and the shifter has been checked and rechecked to make for sure the linkage is perfect.If I leave from a dead stop it pulls great then as soon as it hits second there is a noise coming from transmission sounds like a ball bearing beating around slight loss of power then 3rd it pulls great. problem is in second gear. The highway problem I am having is to many RPM's I guess thats where the OD comes in.

If there is no kickdown cable on that tranny, the builder expects you to manually shift it when you need to.

The noise in second gear is not good. Sounds like something is messed up in there. Did that tranny come with the racing intermediate sprag assembly? The stock roller clutches are worthless.

Too many RPM's on the highway is a gearing issue.
Sounds like you would be happier with a 700R4. You would need to resize your driveline though.
Or you could change your rear-end gears. Drop down to 3:55 or something.

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you. Good luck.

Too Many Projects 11-18-2012 07:09 PM

The 200r4 will be a straight swap with no driveshaft change. It will lower your final drive with a 4th gear to bring the highway rpm's down, but your 3000 stall may then become an issue by slipping at the lower rpm. I don't know if the TH 350 converter is compatable with the 200. It certainly isn't going to lock up, like a 200 converter for a further gear reduction. You may need to get a different converter too ?

The noise in the 350 sounds like a broken/defective part. Have you contacted Summit about it ?

vinniekq2 11-20-2012 02:51 PM

nice looking car. 383 with 1:1 high gear,especially a mild one,will be noisy and hard on fuel for no reason,get the O/D either gear vendors or 4 speed auto.

malc 11-20-2012 02:56 PM

If there is a fault in the trans Summit will take it back.
I sent my TH700R4 back to them from Spain, and they
paid my shipping costs. :)


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.