Hot Rod Forum banner

Not happy with transmission

4K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  prostreet6t9 
#1 ·
I have finished my 1969 Camaro build and I bought a summit racing tarnsmission T350. I have a sbc 383 with 3000 stall and 3.73 posi in the car. I drive this on the highway quite a bit and am not happy with the feel of the transmission both on city roads and highway. I am thinking a trans with a OD would help me out on the highway. What would you folks say?

See less See more
#2 ·
We need to know the problems? We cant suggest anything without knowing what you don't like? I would ask why you ordered a racing trans and then complain about driving it on the street ! Your using it for what it isn't designed for! Why not install an external overdrive and keep the trans?

jester

#3 ·
It sounds like there is a busted part in the transmission in second gear. I am not at all happy with the responce of the car when I get on it. I have done the exact same setup in a Camaro I built years ago and it was a complete different animal. I was thinking a 700r4 or 200r4 like in my Grand national. I am clueless when it comes to transmissions.

#4 ·
The transmission came to me with no hole for a kickdown,I do have the modulator valve hooked up and the shifter has been checked and rechecked to make for sure the linkage is perfect.If I leave from a dead stop it pulls great then as soon as it hits second there is a noise coming from transmission sounds like a ball bearing beating around slight loss of power then 3rd it pulls great. problem is in second gear. The highway problem I am having is to many RPM's I guess thats where the OD comes in.

#5 ·
If that trans came with a modulator you need it hooked up and adjusted or if you bypass it you need to set the trans up for no modulator! Thats causing the noise and problems your having! you may have already caused damage! And there is no kick down! on those transes But they are set up for modulators!

Jester

#7 ·
There is a small screw in the inlet you can set your shift points to your vacuum signal it could be set very easy on a dino! But on the street its trial and error Turn it slightly to the right or left see how it shifts turn a hare more and drive again till you like the way it shifts Dont turn too far or you will damage it!!:nono: If you screw counter clockwise the diaphragm reacts on less vacuum clockwise it reacts on higher vacuum>

Jester

#11 ·
The early grand nationals had a 350c with about 2800rpm stall. They drove pretty well even on the highway. What are you looking to change?

My truck has a 350c, gnx 3000 stall, with 3.73 gears and 28" tire. The truck rides smooth at 65mph at 2800rpm. Not a big deal with a 3000 stall or gear, but it performs like a well thought out muscle car. A B+M rvshift kit and lock up switch system rounds it out.

#13 ·
The 200r4 will be a straight swap with no driveshaft change. It will lower your final drive with a 4th gear to bring the highway rpm's down, but your 3000 stall may then become an issue by slipping at the lower rpm. I don't know if the TH 350 converter is compatable with the 200. It certainly isn't going to lock up, like a 200 converter for a further gear reduction. You may need to get a different converter too ?

The noise in the 350 sounds like a broken/defective part. Have you contacted Summit about it ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.