Not a hot rod tire question but it could be - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2006, 05:51 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Not a hot rod tire question but it could be

Hi, I have a 2006 car, i will not say what make but it starts with F. It has less than 10K miles. It has 2 tires that leak air. The tire dealer can not find the leak. I will not say the dealers name but it starts with GY. They also say that it is not under warranty and if i bring it in again i will have to pay 19$ for each tire if they can fix it. I ask about using tire sealant and was told it would void my tire warranty. That has not been worth much so far. What do you guys think about using tire sealant. Some of the old tire sealant was flammable, the the new stuff is not. I have used it in some older cars years ago with no problems. Tired of putting air in the tires about every 3 to 4 weeks. Normal tire pressure is 32 lbs drops to 21 or 22 lbs. Bill

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2006, 06:37 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

This may or may not help identify

If your car has Alloy wheels

My mom had an issue with the same thing on her Buick Regal.

Seems that the wheel in question was leaking thru a porous casting.
Changed wheel---quit leaking

Might want to look into that or possibly a minor crack in the wheel.

Bryan
__________________________________________________ ______________

They also say that it is not under warranty and if i bring it in again i will have to pay 19$ for each tire if they can fix it. I ask about using tire sealant and was told it would void my tire warranty.
__________________________________________________ ________________
This sounds ambiguous as hell-------is it under warranty or not?????
Old 11-25-2006, 06:44 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

If I had a new 2006 car that was made by F and had tires on it by GY...one or the other would have to make it right. If the dealers for F and GY do not want to correct the problem ....then you need to contact Corporate Headquaters and file a complaint there.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:49 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

have those tires broken down and checked + patched if need be from the inside, you may have a leaky bead, and breaking the tire down for checking, will also seal the bead back up once there done, just make shure they use the sealent, any tire shop has it, but some people forget to use it ( or just don't because they don't care ). an inside tire repair shouldn't void out the warranty ither. cost $20 or so per tire.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Highrise
If I had a new 2006 car that was made by F and had tires on it by GY...one or the other would have to make it right. If the dealers for F and GY do not want to correct the problem ....then you need to contact Corporate Headquaters and file a complaint there.
My sentiments exactly...with that low mileage, either the dealer or tire company would stop the leak or replace tire or wheel.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:13 AM

Last photo:

Not a hot rod tire question but it could be

Thanks for the replys guys, i will call the car dealer back on Monday. I do not want to deal with the tire dealer if i can help it. I think the guy that was looking for the leaks in the tires was short a few pounds in the upper level. Bill
Old 11-26-2006, 09:25 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Park the car on their front lawn with flat tires....Put a sign on it, saying they wont fix it...............

Budget RVs
Old 11-26-2006, 06:11 PM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

Worse case scenario if you don't get immediate satisfaction from the dealer and just want to try and find the problem yourself see if you can find an old drum or anything wider than the tire. Fill it with some water, put about 50psi of air in the tire and hold it under water. If it is leaking you should be able to see a trail of air bubbles coming out of the tire. This is helpful to determine if it is a valve stem leak, bead leak, or a hole in the tire. Bead leaks are somewhat common with alloy rims. They make a bead sealer that gets put on the rim bead when mounting the tire to stop bead leaks. If you're a don't take cr#p kinda guy you could probably just go into the dealership and tell them you want to see the tire held under water while their tech looks for a leak. Any decent shop should have a water tank for checking tires.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:53 PM
Newskool

Last journal entry: New, Used grill arrived!
Last photo:

I'm having a similar problem with one of my tires. The only hard part about solving the problem is its on one of my back rims. I had brand new 295-50-r15's put on 10" wide rims. One of the tires has a really slow leak so I took it back to my mechanic since I had him install them. He sprayed soapy water literally ALL over the rubber and couldn't find a single spot where it was leaking.

And of course with a tire that size it isn't the easiest thing in the world to hold it completely under water.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:07 PM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdogger
And of course with a tire that size it isn't the easiest thing in the world to hold it completely under water.
I here ya. The tank we have at work is designed so we hold the tire vertical in it and only the bottom half of the tire is under water. Then we just kind of rotate the tire little at a time watching for bubbles until we've rotated it enough so that the entire tire was under water at some point. Really slow leaks are hard to find with a squirt bottle. I've had some where even holding under water I could still barely notice the tiniest trail of bubbles coming from the leak. Some leaks are just difficult to catch, that's why we bump up the air pressure in the tire also.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:22 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan59EC
This may or may not help identify

If your car has Alloy wheels

My mom had an issue with the same thing on her Buick Regal.

Seems that the wheel in question was leaking thru a porous casting.
Changed wheel---quit leaking

Might want to look into that or possibly a minor crack in the wheel.

Bryan
__________________________________________________ ______________

They also say that it is not under warranty and if i bring it in again i will have to pay 19$ for each tire if they can fix it. I ask about using tire sealant and was told it would void my tire warranty.
__________________________________________________ ________________
This sounds ambiguous as hell-------is it under warranty or not?????
I used to do tire repairs at Pep Boys and actually found a steel rim with a hole in it. I don't see how since it wasn't cast, but it literally had a hole on the inside of the rim. Not even close to a weld or anything. Smaller than a needle but the guy's tire kept losing air and that's what it ended up being.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:54 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

If you use the squirt bottle method, use dish soap at a real thick consistancy so it will stick toteh tire for a while. Then spray or wipe, and wait....an hour if need be...holes will show up, eventaully.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:15 PM

but it could be

Hey old Bill, some good advice to be gotten here but I would say the onus is definitely on the dlr. Some off the subject advice.........avoid the GY type places and find yourself a good independent garage to deal with.Have run my own garage for years (retired the business) worked for the gy guys for a couple of years. They had a real short coming INTEGRITY!With an independent you can walk in and say hey Joe this don't seem right and nine out of ten times you'll get some kind of positive response immediately.You will develope a one on one relationship and not the corperate franchise shuffle,take a number and sit in the corner that your getting now.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:29 PM
The Maintenance Geek

Last photo:

Sure sounds like a porous casting, paint the insides of the rim
with an epoxy paint, the problem will go away, then back bill
Ford just for giggles...

K

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.