Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Transmission - Rearend (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/transmission-rearend/)
-   -   Not a Hotrod (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/not-hotrod-206339.html)

eloc431962 09-29-2011 02:12 PM

Not a Hotrod

Hi guy's i know this is not a hotrod but it get's the wife and sometimes me to work. What i have is a 99 dodge caravan 3.3 liter automatic trans last week it started to jerk around alittle the wife said, so i have been driving it for 2 or 3 day's now and it did it to me today, and now it has no park it has all the rest of the gears and runs out good on the road, what do you think the problem is and is it a easy fix something i could do or should hire it out ? oh and it has like 180,000 miles on it also. any help would be nice it's still a good ride would like to fix if it don't cost a arm and a leg :D even if we decide to sell it i would like to fix it first if possible. Thank's for any and all replies off to the doctor for now i will check back later. Thank'd guy's. :thumbup:

Cole
:pimp:

T-bucket23 09-29-2011 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eloc431962
Hi guy's i know this is not a hotrod but it get's the wife and sometimes me to work. What i have is a 99 dodge caravan 3.3 liter automatic trans last week it started to jerk around alittle the wife said, so i have been driving it for 2 or 3 day's now and it did it to me today, and now it has no park it has all the rest of the gears and runs out good on the road, what do you think the problem is and is it a easy fix something i could do or should hire it out ? oh and it has like 180,000 miles on it also. any help would be nice it's still a good ride would like to fix if it don't cost a arm and a leg :D even if we decide to sell it i would like to fix it first if possible. Thank's for any and all replies off to the doctor for now i will check back later. Thank'd guy's. :thumbup:

Cole
:pimp:

Could it be as simple as a linkage issue. With that many miles maybe something is worn in the linkage so it is not locked in gear and not going into park. I think the linkage on those is easily accessible on the transmission end.

eloc431962 09-29-2011 04:04 PM

Thank's Chet, i thought about that and will check it, the thing that get's me is the way it acted jerking around makes me think something inside has worn out and came loose or broke. not real sure though.

Cole

T-bucket23 09-29-2011 04:32 PM

Quote:

Thank's Chet, i thought about that and will check it, the thing that get's me is the way it acted jerking around makes me think something inside has worn out and came loose or broke. not real sure though.

Cole

I was thinking if the linkage was an issue it my be between positions or something like that. I am suspicious of this because it would not go into park.

eloc431962 09-29-2011 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-bucket23
I was thinking if the linkage was an issue it my be between positions or something like that. I am suspicious of this because it would not go into park.

Chet that makes perfect sense thank's. :thumbup:

Cole

tnsmith10 09-29-2011 08:45 PM

try disconnecting the shift cable from the manual arm and see if it goes into park. if it doesnt, its the cable, if it does, its internal.
thats a ton of miles on a factory 604 build i might add, and its lived well past its normal service life.
the best i can recommend is to have it scanned, and have the CVI's checked, if theyre all doing good and the converter clutch is still working, then a pan and valve body drop may be practical to do and see whats happened to the internal linkage if that be the case.
usually those trannys tear up planets or the converter clutch has lost its friction through time.
the choice of course is ultimately still yours but, with that high of mileage, i think its time for rebuild.

cobalt327 09-29-2011 08:53 PM

To clarify: w/the cable disconnected, if the tranny will go into park, it might be the cable or adjustment. If it still will not go into park it's likely something internal.

Hopefully it's just the cable adjustment, worn linkage or a stretched out or frayed cable. Good luck.

T-bucket23 09-30-2011 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnsmith10
try disconnecting the shift cable from the manual arm and see if it goes into park. if it doesnt, its the cable, if it does, its internal.

I think you have this backwards, with the cable disconnected if it goes into park then it is the cable, if it doesnt it is something internal

tnsmith10 09-30-2011 07:17 AM

yea, what he said... ;)

eloc431962 09-30-2011 04:08 PM

Thank's guy's i will check the cable first. :thumbup:

Cole

T-bucket23 10-03-2011 02:14 PM

Quote:

Cole

Any luck with the cable

cobalt327 10-03-2011 02:25 PM

Quote:

Cole

Sorry for the hyjack, Cole. So yeah, let us know what's up when you get the chance!

eloc431962 10-03-2011 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-bucket23
Any luck with the cable

Well as far as i can tell the cable is working, and now all of the sudden it has park again, but when i put it in reverse it pops like three times the go on and does good, i don't know must be something internal ? but i did notice when it is put in park while i am watching the cable it seems kind of weak going in. Not sure Chet. :confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobalt327
Sorry for the hyjack, Cole. So yeah, let us know what's up when you get the chance!

It's ok Mark with someone like you i don't consider it a hyjack at all you are alway's welcome on my threads. :thumbup:

Cole

poncho62 10-04-2011 06:06 PM

Ultima......Keep the conversation civil, or you are out of here.......

poncho62 10-04-2011 06:31 PM

Edited out by Ultima

"What part of my reply do you not like? RICE! MAYBE?

Best regards, RA"

To answer your question, start with this...

"It's not a hot rod, it's a pig! Dump that crapper, and get a flat-nose.
Show some class."

Play nice or you are done, last chance