NOT a hotrod BUT......has anyone pulled an engine in a Tempo? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2008, 05:23 AM

Last journal entry: How sweet it is!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

NOT a hotrod BUT......has anyone pulled an engine in a Tempo?

Not exactly a question you would expect to see on these boards unless one was referring to a Tempo on NOS!

But.....has anyone done an engine swap on a 92 Tempo? My cup of tee is old school small block chebby stuff. I have a good buddy that has a 92 Tempo that is in decent condition believe it or not. Long story short....The Oil pump died in it! Before realizing it, he threw a rod through the side of the block! Motor is toast! Most cases I would suggest just trashing the car. However, he has a second Tempo (exact same year, engine size etc...) that he has been using as a parts car. The parts car Engine still runs strong but has a blown Tranny.

By now you probably see where we are going with this? Lets make 2 bad cars into 1 good one! All the parts are there and accessible. Won't cost a dime other then new oil and coolant. Its just a matter of putting the time in for labor.

My question to anyone that may have experience with similar inline cars. Can JUST the engine be pulled from the top withOUT having to take the Transaxle with it? Im hoping that we can take off the hood and yank the motor from above withOUT having to disconnect both axels, sway bar, etc.... Is it possible to seperate engine/transaxle while the tranny is still sitting in the car?

We have a Haynes Manual for the car and it suggests pulling BOTH together when removing engine. However, to me that sounds like alot of extra work having to remove both axels,sway bar, etc....just to pull engine.

With the pulleys it looks like a TIGHT squeeze through the top, but also looks like it should clear using a cherry picker from above. Rather then the traditional lift the car off the motor routine. For the home mechanic using jack stands sliding the engine under the car to get it out can suck!

Im up for this fun little project but as always, looking for opinions from some of the great minds that hang out here

thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2008, 05:55 AM

Last photo:

Leave the tranny in the car, may have to remove the pulleys for clearance. pull her out. No big deal .
Old 07-21-2008, 03:41 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

disconnect struts from the hubs, remove electronics, unbolt steering rack, cut fuel line near the cradle ( you can connect it with a compression fitting later ), disconnect exhaust.. support the cradle with jackstands and remove cradle bolts.. car can be then lifted over the engine/ cradle easy with 2 people, support front end with jack stands..
Old 07-21-2008, 04:39 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

If its an automatic it can be squeezed out the top.....If its a standard, you are pulling engine and tranny........dropping the subframe is easier.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:19 PM

Last photo:

WOW!

didn't expect to see many hot rodders that have done TEMPOS. As i realize a Tempo could put any VETTE to shame when drag racing. well.....i didn't say cor-VETTE. how about che-VETTE?

anyways.....thanks for the heads up guys! BOTH cars are automatics so sounds like i got lucky and the process won't be as much of a P.I.T.A. as originally thought. Now just need the hot weather to calm down a bit here in BC and I'll be in buisness.

thanks again guys
Old 07-21-2008, 06:33 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

back when I had my '94 ( 2.3/ Auto ) I used to always manually shift it, was quicker to get up to speed that way.. it wound out around 70
Old 07-27-2008, 08:04 PM

Last photo:

ok so far so good.....

I have the DONOR car's motor all but out. Just need to attach the cherry picker and she shall slide out the top. However, i may have run into a slight issue. NOTHING that can't be fixed just want to be sure i go about this the right way.

The donor car was a non-AC vehicle. while the car that the donor engine will be going into has A/C. I am NOT overly concerned about the A/C working or not once the job is finished.

The 2 engines are a perfect match. The issue comes around the power stearing pump area. Being that 1 car has AC while the other doesn't, brings us to a pulley issue. The alternators are different as the AC car has everything hooked up to a serpentine belt. while the non-AC car's alternator runs independently off a single groove belt.

Just wondering what you guys would suggest? the 2 power steering pumps are slightly different mounts and the resivors are located in different locations. again, i only want to swap the motor and being that both motors are the exact same (2.3 litre 4 bangers) i should have NO issues i hope? 1 car is actually a Tempo while the other is a Topaz. same damn thing in my book

might one suggest pulling both engines and swapping the pulleys to match the vehicle? Again the GOOD engine had the basic NO A/C set up. that engine needs to go into the vehicle that had the higher end A/C model. engines are the exact same. pulleys and power steering are in same location but are different because of the AC.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:00 PM
USMC....0331,DAD!

Last photo:

if the engines are the same you should have no problems fitting all the stuff from the broken to the good one, I mean you've gone this far. thats what I would do, RR all accessories and pulleys from the broken motor to the good one, just keep track of all the brackets and spacers that may be on there is all.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:06 PM
uninteresting default message

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: A couple of pics of the car
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Duct tape and a sharpie! label every connection you disconnect. This will save a lot of hassle and dirty words later. A box of zip lock bags or a couple of coffee cans can't hurt either.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:02 AM

Last photo:

thanks again guys for the SOUND-advice!

However, after spending a bit of time reading the ford forums (god help me) i may have hit a speed bump on this little project. I had originally "THOUGHT" that both cars were the same year. they sure look like the same year. However, the donor car (good engine) is from a 1991. The car that has a BAD engine is a 1993. Same engines "YES" BUT........

QUOTE: "In 1992 ford drilled a hole in the block for the cam sensor, where 91-older never had them."

hmmm...........as ive now discovered a direct swap with assemblies and pullies should NOT be an issue. its the MAP that causes my head ache now.
as the engine is a 91 that needs to go into a 93 car

SECOND QUOTE: One more small concern when installing a 88-91 HSC in a 92-94 TT, besides the threaded hole near the distributor for the Cam Position Sensor (CPS), you'd also need a 92-94 camshaft with the CPS lobe on it!

sounds like too much work just to re-vive an out dated car to scrape by a few miserable canadian winters. Ya, we can bolt the engine in but with NO-MAP it may run like crap. any thoughts???

THIRD QUOTE: I'm pretty sure if you changed over the entire ECM/MAP wiring harness you should be able to use the 88-91 HSC in a 92-94

ok have i covered everything? how much of a PITA would the harness swap be?? are we talking complete under dash? or are we lucky? and while both engines are out under hood harness easily done?

glad i found that little tid-bit BEFORE i went too far. must be a way around it?
Just a matter of if its worth it or not?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.