Hot Rod Forum banner

Not a must have, but a nice to have tool. Rad vacuum refill kit.

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  sbchevfreak 
#1 ·
This is one of those tools that until you have it you just don't respect what it can do for you. What it does is simply vacuums the air out of the cooling system, then you open a valve and it sucks the coolent into the system, how cool is that! It obviously isn't a must have but darn it is nice.

Here's one for $73 Click here

On many late model cars you simply must use it but on older cars it's just darn convenient. It is sucking all the air out of every part of the system including the heater.

You have a gauge so you can see if there is a leak. Now this isn't quite the same as pressurizing the system as far as leaks, you should do both.

I am sure you can find a cheaper one (mine is Snap On, NOT cheap) but here's one for $189.00 Click here

As you can see it sucks ALL the air out. :D

Anyway, it is so nice knowing you have done it right.

Brian

See less See more
#3 ·
I have used them before and had a few waterpump seals leak right after filling due to vacuum pulling on it. I can say they must have been weak to start with , but just the same.
Usually a bleed hole in the T stat and unhooking a heater hose is more than enough to get the air out of practically any car.
A lot of the high pressure shops like to have the big cylinders with the valves that make it look complicated, so the customer sees it , and thinks he is getting something for his 89.95 cooling system flush.Thats why they have them...customer percieves value when a big complicated machine is hooked to there car.
I wonder why its different when you hook up a 15,000 dollar scanner and charge 65.00 bucks for that plus an hour of testing, why they complain.....?:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

#4 ·
You could be right but this is pretty much a no brainer, outside of me screwing it up. :rolleyes: But honestly, this one is pretty tough in that the heater core is upside down above the engine. So to drain out air at a heater hose is darn near impossible.

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.