Hot Rod Forum banner

not rust-rust STAINES on paint! Needm gone

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  bullheimer 
#1 ·
in my trunk on TOP of the splatter paint, where my jack laid in water that somehow got in there, are these big hairy and also some not so hairy rust stains. SOMEBODY TELL ME HOW TO GET THIS RUST CRAP OFF!!!

ps GO NINERS!

[ January 05, 2003: Message edited by: bullheimer ]</p>

#2 ·
One thing I use quite a bit but is kinda radical is OutClean toilet bowl cleaner. It has hydrochloric acid in it so you don’t want to get it on anything you don’t want removed but it’ll take rust off in a couple of seconds. Oh yea try not to breathe the fumes and quickly wash it off with plenty of water.

#3 ·
i got sum rust-mort i'll try tomorrow, but i think it will just turn it black, and then i'll be screwed. i ll get some of that other stuff tomorrow too. thanks, any other ideas, let'm rip.
bullheimer ]

i tried that CLR stuff. i realize that the rust is actually on the back side of the paint for the most part, so now i'm pretty well screwed. i'll try the rust mort then a re-paint :(

[ January 07, 2003: Message edited by: bullheimer ]</p>

#5 ·
if you do that senior grape-miester, the rust will eventually work it's way through the paint or the metal it's in through the other side, i.e., the bottom of my trunk, rust has to be killed first with rust mort or removed. zero-rust brand paint will stop it better than anything and prevent it from coming thru it best, but it will still be there. think of it as metal termites.

But i will kill it off, like i said with rust mort brand stuff, which turns the rust back into metal, then a re-paint will be necessary with splatter paint.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.