Hot Rod Forum banner

not starting

569 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  delsman 
#1 ·
this is my second post today i have installed a pair of headers on a 78 ford 150 with a 351m. to get the driver side i had to remove the linkage for the automatic trans now everything is done but the truck wont start now . i had lights turn singles ect. battery isn't dead and the solenoid isn't bad. so i thought maybe is was the linkage. so i made sure that is was tight now i have no lights as well wont start. 3 guys looked and cant figer it out any suggestions would help thank you

#2 ·
Doc here, :pimp:

Clarity of subject please..

When you say won't start..Do you mean , no clicks or starter motor engaging? or it turns over..and over...and over..and over..but no candles?

If it will not crank..(starter engage) It can be two things..

First: the Neutral; safety switch wires have fallen off while you were installing headers.. OR you knocked it way out of adjustment when you removed the linkages..Check your switch for that ..

To test that theory , BE SURE it is in park...Go to the solenoid..jump the "s" terminal to the big cable going to the battery..if it cranks Look at the switch..If not look at battery connections and the solenoid for functionality..

SECOND: If the lights are dead also, I think that what you said..look for a fuse link or maxi fuse that has blown from the battery source to the fuse panel buss system..Should be along the solenoid Battery cable side of the solenoid. If the body is dead as well, it is almost assured that it has opened a link.

Doc :pimp:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.