Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Not too impressed with shop's finessing repro door
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2005, 09:24 PM

Last journal entry: First RoadCourse Video
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Not too impressed with shop's finessing repro door

As you may have read in a previous post, the repro drivers door we got for the 'stang on the drivers side, did not fit very well.

The body man has finally got down to making it fit, but I'm not that impressed. There are three vertical/diagonal lines in the bottom 1/4 of the door skin, the top of the door inside the window lip has a couple kinks in it. Instead of the door being straight, it is now like a football field, with the striker end diving back down to meet the now welded 1/4 panel edge.

I know that he's not finished, and I'm not a body/metal man. But if it was that far off, a new door skin is only $80. We could not really reuse the old butchered doors, but after seeing this, I'd rather see the door skin cut off. Then try and make a better fit by twisting the inner door frame, and installing the skin once it all lines up better.
Am I off track here?
Anyway, I left him to finish the car, why we are going to end up bondoing all over a new door is beyond me