Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Not too impressed with shop's finessing repro door
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2005, 04:43 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I didn't see in any of your photos where the left fender was on the car. When I stated that I test fit the parts, I meant all of the parts. Installing the door, with the fender off, when replacing the quarter, really tells you nothing. You can work all you want to get the door to fit the quarter, then install the fender, and find that everything is wrong. Some minor tweeking is normal, and sometimes with aftermarket or reproduction parts, a little more tweeking is called for. Unless the parts are "JUNK", they should not require that much work to make them fit properly.

I have seen many times that the problem with the fit of the parts is not the parts, but the installation. I have seen many times that someone has taken a "used" quarter panel and had to make modifications to make them fit. This is a quarter panel that fit another car fine. It was a problem with the way it was handled from the point of being removed and reinstalled, not the part itself. Having watched the whole process, I knew that there was going to be a problem several times, and pointed it out, just to be ignored. Sometimes some of it is the part, but some of the problem may be the process.

Try to get some good photos of the problems that you have. Try to get good lighting on the areas.