Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - `Nother drawing, Buick
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2004, 08:12 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

On losing your style

Years ago when I decided to stop working for minimum wage and go to college I had a choice between journalism school or getting an Advertising/Public Relations diploma. I made a huge mistake when I went for the APR thing; when I was taking that course, I got involved with the student newspaper, became it's managing editor, and discovered I *loved* journalism. Unfortunately, no newspaper that actually pays good money would consider hiring me with the business diploma I'd earned, they all told me to go back and get a journalism degree.

The main reason I chose not to go to journalism school was, as a writer, I didn't want to lose my unique 'voice' and I thought the school would pound it out of me. In hindsight, I realize that the school would have taught me the basic 'newspaper' style of writing, but I could have still retained by own style for other kinds of writing. I still write, but I'm working in factories, rather than newspapers, and it sucks. I've done lots of APR writing and it's been fun, but I would have preferred a full-time job on a paper or a magazine.

So don't let any fear of losing your 'style' prevent you from going to design school. If this is what you'd like to do for a living, get the proper training and credentials, like Foose did, and then you won't have any regrets after.