Hot Rod Forum banner

Nothing but spinning tires

1K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  stepside454 
#1 ·
What's the secrete to planting the tires on a pick-up? After replacing a worn out 350 with a 450 hp 383 on a 68 short bed I noticed a lot of wheel spin, but it doesn't seem like it has that "bet you can't touch the dash" feeling. It's a GMC so it has a Dana 44 posi, and leaf spring rear end. It has 275x60 tires but it seems like even after letting up to get them to connect, a little more gas causes them to start spinning again. I would really like to see the truck run with the average 350 Camero's and Nova's running around. I should have quite a bit more power & torque, and the truck really doesn't weigh that much. (it's really not any bigger than an S-10) So, if it's not HP, what makes a fast truck. Is taller gearing in order? Is it just too heavy, or too light in the rear end?

#2 ·
I think you nailed it right at the end. The back of pickups are usually just too light to get good traction. Especially if you are putting plenty of power to them. I had the same problem with my '63 chevy. I took the floor out of the bed and welded in a new 11 gauge floor. It took four guys to pick up the bed, but I got a whole lot more traction. You might look at adding weight in the rear corners, like with sandbags at first and figure out how much you want to add before you do anything permanent.

#3 ·
Way back, I got my clock cleaned really good by an El Camino with a 427 that didn't have any traction problems at all on the street. Friends said that he had weighted his tail gate, and then secured it in the down position. He added very little overall weight, but the weight he did add was far to the rear of the vehicle. I would also go for sticky tires, maybe some BFG Drag Radials (or whatever favorite brand you have) in the largest size that fits comfortably . You will still be able to blow them away if you try, but they do add quite a bit more bite. If nothing else, start the race from a roll.

#7 ·
Like everyone has alluded too, adding weight is one solution but, you really need to look at the whole combination. Weight, tires and traction devices. I would seriously consider a set of Cal tracs and some good drag radials to start THEN start adding weight to get your truck to hook up. Moving the battery to the right rear corner and taking the fuel tank out of the cab and putting a cell under the bed in back would also move the weight bias to a more usable location. Just some ideas but, to get the truck to work like you would like, will require addressing all of the issues.
Mark

#8 ·
I have the same problem with mine. I plan to replace the 255/60s & put on 275/60s. I also plan to ditch the 4.11s for 3.73s.
When its time for this 454 to be freshened up Im gonna kill of some low speed torque intentionally for more mid & upper power. Infact I might yank the Performer intake off & put on a singlr plane.
Itll spin posi for a city block if I let it . with a borrowed set of 9x29.5 slicks it ran a 13.80. with regular radials.with street tires Id be lucky to get a 13.80 60 ft. LOL. John

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.