Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodders' Lounge (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodders-lounge/)
-   -   Notice from the Neighborhood Improvement Committee (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/notice-neighborhood-improvement-committee-149845.html)

custer_h 12-16-2008 09:45 PM

Notice from the Neighborhood Improvement Committee

This isn't a new problem to hotrodders all over but it is to me. I've been working on mating a 54 Dodge Panel with an 88 Ramcharger and have encountered numerous obstacles delaying the actual transformation. In the meantime the city neighborhood Improvement committee has come around claiming my pride and joy to be in violation of road readiness which I can't deny, unless I put a soap box in the drivers seat it is iffy, but the brand new 318 cid engine is strong and ready to go as is the rest of the running gear. The shop set up is far from ideal but paved and better than the sand lot it had been on. I'm ready to see about organizing a car club and lease a hangar at the local fly in to use as a car club work area. Do any of our forum members have similar experiences and advice to offer?

schnitz 12-18-2008 07:14 AM

I wish I had an offering for you. But I don't....

In a while, Chet.

deliveryman 12-18-2008 05:12 PM

I have been there. Problem one collecting the rent and paying it. Problem two it can turn out to be a hang out. That is not a problem if you do not want to make progress on your car. I moved my car home and made a lot of progress on it. Those that wanted to help came over to the house. Problem three INSURANCE.

yknot 12-18-2008 05:24 PM

You know I too have been there, and while you might not see anything wrong with a rusted out old car or two sitting around, it's pretty obvious that your neighbors do. Way to often, people think what they do on there own property is their problem only, but the truth is, your action, or lack there of, causes pain to other. A pain in the form of a Blithe, making the neighborhood look run down and trashy. While I think most times, the local governments try to stay out of the lives of the normal property owner, I have to agree, that this is one issue that causes a problem for enough fellow property owners that some times action is needed.

I know this is a Hot Rod forum, but much of what is refereed to as a Hot Rod here, is really just worn out junk, people are nursing along and using for daily transportation.

custer_h 12-18-2008 06:00 PM

Deliveryman and yknot both have very valid points. As the man from the Neighborhood Improvement Committee said "I don't really care how you do it but out of sight is out of mind". He and the neighbor all want it gone which I understand and will comply ASAP. Unfortunately, that means it returns back to the sand lot where no one sees it. It looks like pouring a slab is the next best solution. One does what one must. Thanks for the input. Other thoughts are welcome!

302 Z28 12-18-2008 06:04 PM

What about building a privacy fence?

Vince

custer_h 12-18-2008 06:44 PM

I need to research the city code more in depth because the city is saying that "all vehicles must be road ready" for example would I take it on the road at 10 PM a night? Unless I strap flashlights to the cab since the fenders soon will be gone, to be replaced by the 54 fenders, I'm still in trouble. I offered to cover it with a nice car cover or framed four sided canopy. The city wouldn't budge. I suspect the privacy fence isn't going to resolve the issue. It's looking like I'll be putting my money into a slab in the woods rather than into the project truck unless I come up with an alternative.

powerrodsmike 12-18-2008 08:10 PM

There are times when I rent out a corner of my shop to people I know to do work on their hot rods. ( my friend Eddie is here right now, building a model A.) It has not been an issue to collect rent, and the understanding is clear that if anything interferes with the workings of my shop, or anything comes up missing, they are gone.

I've been doing this for 5 years now, and have had no problems.

If you know of a shop owner who is in need of a little extra cash, you might approach them with the idea.

This is not an ad to rent space, if anyone PM's me or calls me the answer is going to be NO.

Later, mikey

powerrodsmike 12-18-2008 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yknot

I know this is a Hot Rod forum, but much of what is refereed to as a Hot Rod here, is really just worn out junk, people are nursing along and using for daily transportation.

That broad and incorrect statement has absolutely nothing to do with the original posters dilemma, and only shows us again, what great disdain you have for our forum and the people on it.

Why don't you go start your own forum, and stay there, where you can congratulate yourself daily for being the smartest guy on it.

I thought you said you had made your last post here, a week or so ago, but I see that you can't keep a promise either.

If you really don't like it here, then go. If you continue to use this board as a platform for your condescending remarks, you will be suspended.

later, mikey

Jmark 12-18-2008 09:15 PM

Luckly, I don't live in a "premier" neighborhood so this is not a big issue for me, but i'd do some more looking around at other houses and then call the neighborhood services place and talk to them more. Often times, at least here in AZ, if it's a "classic" and under restoration, it is OK if it's out of sight to everyone, as in the back yard. I would fight hard before being run out on it.

bluesman2333 12-19-2008 05:12 AM

As far as I know, if it's licensed and insured and running, there is nothing anyone can do to you. This includes making you make it go away. I would put it under an AZ auto cover for about $60.00 when you aren't working on it, maybe that will seem like a good compromise to them.

milo 12-19-2008 05:18 AM

A car cover will do wonders :welcome:
Once it's under a cover it's no longer a car. :evil:

OneMoreTime 12-19-2008 06:25 AM

The car cover deal does work wonders unless the neighbor is a jerk..I do know several people who do live in "premier Neighborhoods" and they have a garage to work in and no one says a word..The ones who irritate are the ones who have several cars with the weeds growing up thru them and nothing is happening..

Sam

impalaman63 12-19-2008 07:16 AM

This is what I would do.Buy a portable carport.
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h2...an63/62654.jpg

302 Z28 12-19-2008 07:50 AM

It all depends on how the covenants of the edition are written. A while ago in a subdivision of Frisco Texas they were trying to prevent a guy with a brand new 2008 Ford F150 from parking in his driveway. Seems the covenants were written to say no pickups parked overnight in driveways, they had to be in the garage. He tried to fight it and I think he lost. The wisdom was he bought the house and was handed a copy of the covenants at the time of closing. His contention was vehicles like Cadillac Escalade were OK, but not pickups.

Vince