Notice from the Neighborhood Improvement Committee - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2008, 10:45 PM

Last journal entry: Undiscovered Resources Discovered
Wiki Edits: 0

Notice from the Neighborhood Improvement Committee

This isn't a new problem to hotrodders all over but it is to me. I've been working on mating a 54 Dodge Panel with an 88 Ramcharger and have encountered numerous obstacles delaying the actual transformation. In the meantime the city neighborhood Improvement committee has come around claiming my pride and joy to be in violation of road readiness which I can't deny, unless I put a soap box in the drivers seat it is iffy, but the brand new 318 cid engine is strong and ready to go as is the rest of the running gear. The shop set up is far from ideal but paved and better than the sand lot it had been on. I'm ready to see about organizing a car club and lease a hangar at the local fly in to use as a car club work area. Do any of our forum members have similar experiences and advice to offer?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2008, 08:14 AM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

I wish I had an offering for you. But I don't....

In a while, Chet.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:12 PM

Last photo:

I have been there. Problem one collecting the rent and paying it. Problem two it can turn out to be a hang out. That is not a problem if you do not want to make progress on your car. I moved my car home and made a lot of progress on it. Those that wanted to help came over to the house. Problem three INSURANCE.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:24 PM

Last journal entry: More on the Cobra Engine
Last photo:

You know I too have been there, and while you might not see anything wrong with a rusted out old car or two sitting around, it's pretty obvious that your neighbors do. Way to often, people think what they do on there own property is their problem only, but the truth is, your action, or lack there of, causes pain to other. A pain in the form of a Blithe, making the neighborhood look run down and trashy. While I think most times, the local governments try to stay out of the lives of the normal property owner, I have to agree, that this is one issue that causes a problem for enough fellow property owners that some times action is needed.

I know this is a Hot Rod forum, but much of what is refereed to as a Hot Rod here, is really just worn out junk, people are nursing along and using for daily transportation.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:00 PM

Deliveryman and yknot both have very valid points. As the man from the Neighborhood Improvement Committee said "I don't really care how you do it but out of sight is out of mind". He and the neighbor all want it gone which I understand and will comply ASAP. Unfortunately, that means it returns back to the sand lot where no one sees it. It looks like pouring a slab is the next best solution. One does what one must. Thanks for the input. Other thoughts are welcome!
Old 12-18-2008, 07:04 PM
Last photo:

What about building a privacy fence?

Vince
Old 12-18-2008, 07:44 PM

I need to research the city code more in depth because the city is saying that "all vehicles must be road ready" for example would I take it on the road at 10 PM a night? Unless I strap flashlights to the cab since the fenders soon will be gone, to be replaced by the 54 fenders, I'm still in trouble. I offered to cover it with a nice car cover or framed four sided canopy. The city wouldn't budge. I suspect the privacy fence isn't going to resolve the issue. It's looking like I'll be putting my money into a slab in the woods rather than into the project truck unless I come up with an alternative.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:10 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

There are times when I rent out a corner of my shop to people I know to do work on their hot rods. ( my friend Eddie is here right now, building a model A.) It has not been an issue to collect rent, and the understanding is clear that if anything interferes with the workings of my shop, or anything comes up missing, they are gone.

I've been doing this for 5 years now, and have had no problems.

If you know of a shop owner who is in need of a little extra cash, you might approach them with the idea.

This is not an ad to rent space, if anyone PM's me or calls me the answer is going to be NO.

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 12-18-2008, 09:40 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by yknot

I know this is a Hot Rod forum, but much of what is refereed to as a Hot Rod here, is really just worn out junk, people are nursing along and using for daily transportation.

That broad and incorrect statement has absolutely nothing to do with the original posters dilemma, and only shows us again, what great disdain you have for our forum and the people on it.

Why don't you go start your own forum, and stay there, where you can congratulate yourself daily for being the smartest guy on it.

I thought you said you had made your last post here, a week or so ago, but I see that you can't keep a promise either.

If you really don't like it here, then go. If you continue to use this board as a platform for your condescending remarks, you will be suspended.

later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example

Last edited by powerrodsmike; 12-18-2008 at 09:48 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:15 PM

Last photo:

Luckly, I don't live in a "premier" neighborhood so this is not a big issue for me, but i'd do some more looking around at other houses and then call the neighborhood services place and talk to them more. Often times, at least here in AZ, if it's a "classic" and under restoration, it is OK if it's out of sight to everyone, as in the back yard. I would fight hard before being run out on it.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:12 AM
1947 Chevy Coupe

Last photo:

As far as I know, if it's licensed and insured and running, there is nothing anyone can do to you. This includes making you make it go away. I would put it under an AZ auto cover for about $60.00 when you aren't working on it, maybe that will seem like a good compromise to them.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:18 AM
point on positive

Last photo:

A car cover will do wonders
Once it's under a cover it's no longer a car.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:25 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

The car cover deal does work wonders unless the neighbor is a jerk..I do know several people who do live in "premier Neighborhoods" and they have a garage to work in and no one says a word..The ones who irritate are the ones who have several cars with the weeds growing up thru them and nothing is happening..

Sam
Old 12-19-2008, 08:16 AM

Last photo:

This is what I would do.Buy a portable carport.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:50 AM
Last photo:

It all depends on how the covenants of the edition are written. A while ago in a subdivision of Frisco Texas they were trying to prevent a guy with a brand new 2008 Ford F150 from parking in his driveway. Seems the covenants were written to say no pickups parked overnight in driveways, they had to be in the garage. He tried to fight it and I think he lost. The wisdom was he bought the house and was handed a copy of the covenants at the time of closing. His contention was vehicles like Cadillac Escalade were OK, but not pickups.

Vince

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.