nova A arms - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2010, 10:52 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

nova A arms

Any one know if the 68-74 upper & lower A arms are the same as the later (75-up) arms? I have been told by a local self claimed expert that you can run later nova spindles (75 and up) on an early front end by swapping the steering arms left to right. This supposedly fixes the problem of the Early rear steer/later front steer. Or do I need to tell this guy he is an idiot?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2010, 05:52 PM
More for Less Racer

Wiki Edits: 0

75-up spindles have cast -in steering arms, no way to reverse them, you would have to mount the spindles on opposite side which will put the brake calipers in the wrong spot. The 75-up Nova spindle is also taller than the stock 68-74 Nova spindle.

The 75-up Nova and 70-81 Camaro/Firebird share a spindle, it can be used to upgrade 64-72 Chevelle to a taller spindle, you have to change to an aftermarket upper control arm but you get a much better camber curve with this mod. Maybe this is what he is thinking of.

The 64-72 Chevelle and 68-74 Nova/67-69 Camaro use the same spindle, just with removable steering arms, the Chevelle is front steer and the Nova/Camaro is rear steer in these years. You can swap these spindles if you reverse the steering arms.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:58 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenbaker
Any one know if the 68-74 upper & lower A arms are the same as the later (75-up) arms? I have been told by a local self claimed expert that you can run later nova spindles (75 and up) on an early front end by swapping the steering arms left to right. This supposedly fixes the problem of the Early rear steer/later front steer. Or do I need to tell this guy he is an idiot?
He is an idiot.

First problem is the obvious rear steer vs. front steer. Simply swapping the spindles side-for-side doesn't put the steering arms in the right location. Can you say bump steer?

Second problem is that the 75-79 cars use a different ball joint stud taper than the 68-74 cars. You can physically bolt the later spindles on, but you can't see the fact that the ball joint studs aren't fitting properly in the spindle holes. This overloads the ball joint studs and is just asking for a broken ball joint while you drive. You can swap ball joints to the later ones (the lowers require machining) but that still doesn't solve the steering arm problem.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:12 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_padavano
He is an idiot.
Yikes, the "i" word! lol

FWIW, there are aftermarket control arms to take care of all of this, but they're spendy.

Another option are offset shafts w/bushings.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:27 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
Yikes, the "i" word! lol
Just answering the OP's question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenbaker
Or do I need to tell this guy he is an idiot?
Quote:
FWIW, there are aftermarket control arms to take care of all of this, but they're spendy.

Another option are offset shafts w/bushings.
Sorry, no. You are thinking of the A-body cars, where the offset shafts allow you to compensate for the taller B-body spindles. In the case of the 68-74 Novas, they are rear-steer as noted in the original post. The later spindles are front steer and have integrally-forged steering arms. You cannot swap them side-for-side, so unless you plan to use a completely custom front steer R&P unit, this again does not work. More to the point, the OP was quoting someone who claimed that this was a bolt-on swap. I stand by my original statement.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:51 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

No savvy "lol"? And no one is challenging any statements.

What I'm talking about are http://www.globalwest.net/1968-74_No...and_shafts.htm

Not B-body parts, not to swap sides, not to use later spindles, not to use taller spindles- but to allow for a wider range of alignment and ostensibly improve the handling- which is why the OP brought this up, I'm guessing- unless he just wanted to be "different".

Also http://www.globalwestperformance.com...-bushings.html or http://www.globalwest.net/1968-74_No...ntrol_arms.htm (for coilovers).

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.