Hot Rod Forum banner

Nova drum Master Cylinder compatibility with front discs...need fast help!

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  IanRiordan 
#1 ·
Im assembling my front disc brakes for my 1972 nova tonight, it uses a custom bracket that mounts rear camaro rotors with front celebrity calipers...the nova now has all drums, will my master cyilinder work without any mods? porportioning valve? residual valve? Thanks!

#5 ·
I did something similar years ago when I converted my 69 Camaro to front disks. I did not initially use a MC for disk brakes. It stopped OK, a little better than drums, but not what I expected disks to do. The original MC went south so I opted for a Corvette MC with front disks and rear drums, along with the proper proportioning valving. The difference was night and day, all of a sudden my Camaro had vastly improved braking.

Vince

#6 ·
Drum brake master cyls generally have a non return valve behind the brass cone in the m/c outlet. If you convert from drum to disc on either or both axles you must lose this valve (spring and split rubber cup.)
Disconnect the appropriate brake line, screw a self tapper into the cone and using a pair of side cutters pry it out. discard the valve, refit the cone and bleed brakes.
The valve is only there to maintain fluid at the wheel/cyls - calipers don't have return springs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.