Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Nova is painted !! Pics !! :-)
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2012, 05:52 AM
Nova Guru

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry123 View Post
Car looks awesome! Black is so unforgiving, it’s awfully difficult to get a car that straight. You should be very proud.
Thanks. The body was in decent shape to start with overall, but the quarter panels were an absolute mess (no big dents but... ripple city)

I was able to fix them by simply blocking the existing paint down thoroughly with 180 on a paintstick till they looked like this:

then 2 or 3 heavy coats of epoxy primer, block w/ 320, i think i used the paintstick again. Then 2 or 3 more coats of epoxy and block with durablock and 400 then 600 then paint. Used zero bondo (other than over a small rust hole repair)and zero high build primer on the quarters (hardly any high build on the car actually, I preferred the epoxy)

Many, many sanding hours on this car, not to mention the do-overs, BUT, I really had no choice because its black. It had to be right. I'm really glad I did this project, very happy with how it turned out. Can't wait to try again on something because of what I learned on this one.

Andy

Last edited by novafreek6872; 09-18-2012 at 06:07 AM.