Nova or S-10 Front Clip? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2009, 09:24 PM

Last journal entry: more...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Nova or S-10 Front Clip?

Well heres the deal, I bought an old early 60's Volvo body because it reminded me of a '50 Mercury coupe. (Yeah I never thought Id buy a Volvo) But its just sitting on the ground with no frame or suspension at all on it. So I bought a beat up S-10 for the frame and researched it and found the wheelbase is pretty close to the same. Seemed like a good plan until I found a dirt cheap '75 Nova front clip w/ front discs. (I know thats not the really desirable '68-'74 clip) Now Im wondering if I should chop up the S-10 frame or is the S-10 clip just as good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2009, 10:13 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

what model is it.. P-544?

if you got the S10 frame, use it.. it's not bad and should work for what you want.. if it's the P-544, there close in size somewhat simmilar in design to a '41 Willys, which can be built on S10 frames
Old 06-04-2009, 10:23 PM

Last photo:

Actually its a Volvo 122s... Well I should have mentioned before that it'll be powered by a 460 big block ford, if that might make a difference
Old 06-05-2009, 09:31 AM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Is either one better suited to fit under the Volvo, track width, sub frame/frame width, overall length of front clip? S-10 is front steer, what is the Nova? Is either better suited if different to installing the Ford?
Old 06-06-2009, 09:48 PM

Last photo:

umm...what?
Old 06-07-2009, 04:56 AM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1_performance
umm...what?
68-72 Nova's have the steering assembly behind the center line of the front wheels (rear steer), that also makes it behind the cross member of the sub frame. In 75 the Nova went to front steer, similar to the second gen Camaro, the steering components are ahead of the cross member and center line of the front wheels, same as the S-10.
Your 460 has the oil pan sump at the front of the engine, it and the steering components are going to occupy the same space, likely creating problems. Maybe a custom oil pan would work.
Check the track width of the frames you are considering. I do not know for sure but I think the track width on the Nova is wider than a S-10. What is the stock track width of your Volvo? Are the frames you are considering within reason to fit under your car? What about wheels, do you know what you will be using? Is there a offset/back spacing available to get your tire/wheel combo inside of the fenders?
Unless you can find someone who has already done what you want, you need to do a lot of research.

Last edited by 1ownerT; 06-07-2009 at 05:11 AM.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:39 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I am pretty positive that the Nova clip is too wide.......The s10 will be a better fit. Keep in mind that you are going to be fabricating a whole floor pan for this thing. And, then there are the Ford into Chevy frame issues.

You may be better off building a frame from scratch using a Mustang 2 type front suspension.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:22 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

460 oil pan

70's and 80's 460 ford vans use a rear sump oil pan .. also an oil filter mount that you can rotate to move the filter.... some one ton vans heavy duty also have engine oil coolers ... with the pan you need the oil pickup tube and long stud type main bearing bolt and nut... with the filter adaptor be sure to get the hollow bolt that screws into the block . get all the pieces from the block.... the 460 stuff will bolt onto small blocks....I have the filter on my ranger 302 swap.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:26 PM

Last photo:

If it's a concern for you, it's worth pointing out that the S10 has much more aftermarket support and cheap parts. You can get drop spindles, heavy springs for the 460, and big brakes for bargain basement prices. Just saying.

As far as the engine, have you looked at Volvo redblocks? They are very sturdy motors, lots of good OEM turbo goodies, and you can mount them straight up (without the tilt of the 240 series) by using the early model oil pan and pickup. It's not going to build big block torque, but the motors are nothing to sneeze at when they're set up right.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:55 AM

Last photo:

Well the track width of the Volvo is like 3 inches narrower then the S-10 and the wheelbase is like 3-4 shorter on the Volvo. So it is all together a bit smaller then the frame was designed for. As far as the S-10 frame width is compared to the stock frame, I have no idea, I bought the car with no frame in sight. But as far as that goes I do have the tools to make the changes that are necessary. Hadnt thought about having to make floorpans but maybe ill get lucky and wont have to. The oil pan is front-sump on my 460 but im sure i can pop a custom rear-sump pan no sweat. Really one of the goals of the car is to be like a "gasser" style car which is odd for a Volvo. But this in turn means maybe a narrower frame rails in the rear to clear some big meats, so a custom frame would be the best idea if i had a frame jig...
Old 06-23-2009, 10:12 AM

Last photo:

.. only thing that looks out of place in '60's volvo is roof too high...chop it..that would look cool..!!..
ford or chevy will be a good power plant..
i would like to do one....
Old 06-23-2009, 05:50 PM

Last photo:

Well a chop is definitely in order for this project, probably after i get it driving though

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.