novice painter - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2013, 05:11 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

why bother using a flat base if your going to clear it . it's no longer a semi gloss as the clear will gloss anyway. makes no sense to me .

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2013, 07:04 AM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

Agreed with Shine, why spend $200 on a cheap flat SS, to clear over and make it shine (no pun intended ). I am not belittling him, or criticizing, just not understanding his purpose or reasons for doing this. Did he say why he chose to do it this way?

Kelly
Old 08-20-2013, 08:50 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by da34guy View Post
Hot Rod Flatz in J U N K !
Hmm, interesting... I've shot this before, loved it, had excellent results, and it's held up well since 2008. Maybe you didn't mix it properly or follow instructions? Or perhaps are just parroting the usual internet hype?

Russ
Old 08-20-2013, 10:36 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacustoms View Post
Agreed with Shine, why spend $200 on a cheap flat SS, to clear over and make it shine (no pun intended ). I am not belittling him, or criticizing, just not understanding his purpose or reasons for doing this. Did he say why he chose to do it this way?

Kelly
The reasoning behind this, I will explain. He originally planned on just a flat paint job when he bought the flat paint. Then he got a little carried away on the body work (spent a LOT of time blocking). He did this whole thing himself and it came out very good for a beginner. When it came time to paint it he could not see spending more on base coat when he already had the flat red. With the clear and the red paint he did not spend more than $300, painting this whole car. And it does look real good. So now you can understand why he went this route. Will it still look good 15-20 years down the road, will just have too wait and see.

Last edited by mr4speed; 08-20-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:54 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

problem is many do not have any knowledge of resins. there is a reason some paint is very cheap and some is expensive . but there are very few paints of quality resin that are not somewhat expensive. dupont/ppg and the like have spent many years and a ton of money to capture their share of the market. i use ppg color but refuse to use their clears or primers as they are all designed for production. put 6-8 coats of their clear on and you will understand. but as usual the cheap low level resin products are all that this site will support. when the failures happen it will not be told here and the ones with the outrageous claims will not be the ones on the phone trying to help some poor guy who listened to the bs only to have 3 years of hard work go down the tube after a year or so in the sun. those few dollars you saved will look cheap when you have to disassemble a car a strip it .
The Following User Says Thank You to shine For This Useful Post:
carolinacustoms (08-20-2013)
Old 08-20-2013, 08:31 PM

Last photo:

Here are some pics of the 55 chev that was done in hot rod flatz.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chev 1 (800x600).jpg
Views:	76
Size:	269.4 KB
ID:	76832   Click image for larger version

Name:	chev 4j.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	76833  
Old 08-20-2013, 09:25 PM

Last photo:

ive sprayed it with no problems on my buddies ranger he sold it a month later but and i haven't seen it since but it looked good while he had it lol.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr4speed View Post
Here are some pics of the 55 chev that was done in hot rod flatz.
The car looks great.

How many coats of the base color and clear was applied?

I am not set on using Hot Rod Flatz paint but maybe another manufacturer.

I am just trying to decide which way to go. Satin or gloss.

I do realize that the prep for the paint is what makes the paint job. I will be painting the car in my two car garage at home.

I want to thank everyone for the feedback, keep it coming.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:44 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

The number of coats of clear applied to a vehicle is directly related to what you plan on doing after it's cleared and what you want. If your going for a flat finish, 2 coats of matte clear is probably all you need. If your going for a gloss finish, 2 coats of clear is fine...if your planning on cutting and polishing the clear, 3 coats minimum, 4 and 5 are acceptable as well. If your applying 4 or 5 coats of clear and expecting to cut and polish the clear, a good idea is to apply 2 to 3 coats of clear, let it cure, block sand the clear with 600 or 800 wt paper, and apply another to coats of clear...then let it set up, color sand and buff.

Hope this helps.

Ray
Old 08-22-2013, 10:52 AM

Last photo:

I am done with cheap paints! The last one I did in red... at the owner's request... had a dying gloss in about 1 year, and fading color in about 3 years!!!

To me the only reason to use these is if you are selling very soon... if you simply cannot afford good paint...or you choose not to afford it.

I will acknowledge that it is their money to spend. The sad part about choosing not to afford it, is that often these guys try to portray the painter as a rip-off, when he has simply chosen to do a good job. {:-(

I respect the owners right to decide... but I work for others, so reputation and quality mean everything.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:27 AM

Thanks Ray
Old 08-24-2013, 04:10 AM
two cups of tea

Last wiki edit: Need more horsepower for my 305 Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Dom't buy none of that crap from tcp global!I was buying it & thought Hell I just can't paint I bought good materials & now get good results.I tryd the hotrod flatz black it was crap..got a few diffrent gallons of single stage & its thick as 2k primer from summit & it calls for no reducer.Ray remembers that gray that I almost lost my mind over.Plus there shipping is nuts!
I just did some lite bodywork & shot it in spi black epoxy for the customer it gives that nice hotrod black look now the customer dosnt wanna paint it.I got op @ first but deadbodyman recomended reducing which I did laid nice.I myself still prefer 2k primer but for that flat black there epoxy primer is killer & has uv protectants.can't recall who but someone on here did a real nice job with it maybe he will chime in.imho tcp stuff sucks,I mean they also sell cake supplies I don't want my steak dinner coming from a crayon factory.Lately I buy summits black & there satin clear I don't like there new flat line either.And I'm far less experinced then these guys.Listen to them.I did & haven't been steerd wrong yet.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.