Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - NSRA - open to newer cars?
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2008, 08:18 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58Apache

1) I know they are open to almost all other events, but as of this last event they are still holding out to pre-48 cars at the Louisville Nationals.

2) I watched cars come in that are new fiberglass bodies that only slightly resemble the originals. Are these Street Rods?

3) The giveaway car, the symbolic ultimate representative car of Street Rodders are almost always a new manufacture that only loosely resembles pre-48 cars....and sometimes just barely recognizable as pre-48. Are these Street Rods?

4) I watched as fire trucks, tow trucks, busses, Rat Rods and show room original restored cars came right on in to the Street Rod show as welcome as can be. Are these street rods?

5) So do I have to wait for a bunch of geezers to let go of the keys on the way to the funeral home or do you think I can bring my 58 Apache and 69 Chevelle in soon?

Steve

Here's you ( no hat and in a Street Rod shirt ) Myself ... center ... then Centerline in the Jegs cap
Photo taken at the NSRA Nationals 2008

I will attempt to answer the questions in order

1) NSRA only has a few events they allow the newer stuff in. Those events are small ... and a few may not be on the schedule in the future ... due to lack of participation. ( locations and the new format may be the main cause for failure ... who knows ) The newer vehicles did not turn out in big numbers and the street rods stayed away in numbers.

2) Fiberglass rods have become accepted ... by some ... because of supply and demand. In your own thread ... the price of steel cars dictate that fiberglass cars be allowed.

3) Next year the give away car is a steel 32 3W coupe ... I believe.
I know ... NSRA gives away what it can get donated. The fiberglass guys donate to get " ink " and their product out. Simple economics.

4) Fire trucks, tow trucks, busses, Rat Rods and show room originals .... all were old enough and are potential old hot rods. And their owners had the 35 dollars to enter them also ... a big factor

5) I agree most of us " old geezers " with the keys to the 32 Fords, 40 Fords and other old rides are getting older ... and I will have to DIE before someone gets my keys to my two 32's ... but you can always take your 69 Chevelle and 58 truck to the GoodGuys show in Columbus Ohio ( which is closer than Louisville anyway ).

The fact is ... if NSRA opened up the registration to the later models ( 30 year slide rule now in place at a few selected NSRA events ) ... where would they hold the Nationals ?? There are only a very few places ... centrally located in the United States that could handle such a event.

GoodGuys allows most anything like you suggest in ... with the entry fee ( after all ... it is a business ) yet they cannot draw the numbers that NSRA does. Nationals compared to Nationals. GoodGuys has been in business 20 years or more so it is not a new organization fighting a older organization issue.

NSRA must be doing something RIGHT ...

signed
Deuce ... Lifetime NSRA member with a very low membership number very, very low 2 thousand # ... yes I have been doing this longer than a lot of the members here have been alive ...

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "