Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - NSRA - open to newer cars?
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2008, 06:14 AM
31 five window

Last journal entry: Master cylinder
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

[QUOTE=58Apache]Now THAT is 3 good looking guys!

Ok, yes NSRA is doing something right! I like the org and their shows. I just can't afford a car that qualifies for the Nats. Good Guys is ok and I try to go there too when I can. Same with Super Chevy shows.

But just the law of attrition will force change sooner or later. Fiberglass became accepted, and so have customs and even rat rods
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/newr...e=1&p=1008989#
But just as with TV shows that are car related have become infomercials rather than how to do something for little money, this hobby has had the sharks circling the 401K withdrawal ATM's

Sure I can buy a new steel 32 or even a fiberglass one ...but even the repros have price tags of 24k and higher! A chassis will cost you 15 grand.

They say that muscle cars have skyrocketed but while there were plenty of cars for sale the prices were often above 50 grand. So you look for a pile of junk to build on a budget and realize that even though tons of parts for 32's are available, it just so happens that anything relating to a 32 carries a premium price tag!

Now add to that the fact that the numbers HAVE gone down, and major sponsors such as GM have pulled out, ...remember the prototype cars they used to show?

Unless some miracle happens, I'll wait and go to the shows that allow my cars in. I like most Street Rodders and have learned a lot! I love going to the shows.

ok....I'll wait. As it was with my in-laws, time is on my side....unless I expire first. I'll wait ya out .........maybe I'll disguise my 58 as a 48 with some fiberglass ...or make it a rat rod so nobody can tell what it is?QUOTE /STEVE

Everybody has diffs in opinion. I was always under the impression that any car can be a hotrod but pre 49 is a streetrod and after that it is a street machine.As DEUCE said you could sell yours and get an older car. It doesn't have to be a 32. As he said that is the highest price street rod out there. Just move up or down a couple years and they are a lot more affordable.As for as making a rat rod out of your 58,Even stripped down it looks nothing like a 48,but you could build a 48 rat rod fairly cheap.Instead of trying to change the rules,build a car that fits the shows you want to enter.As far as a $7,000.00 frame,The tubing costs about $150.00 to build your own and a model A frame is one of the easiest to build. JMO