Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - NSRA - open to newer cars?
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2008, 07:49 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58Apache
How's a guy supposed to be able to afford a project car that qualifies?
Invest 1,700 hours of time and $5,000 of your hard earned cash. And if you don't set your sights on being the billet king of the runway, you can drive a car like this into any NSRA show.

Granted, you won't win "Best Paint" or "Best Engine" or "Best ANYTHING", but you can still command your fair share of attention and supportive comments as well as having a great time.

Yes, there are many streetrods with $50K price tags at NSRA events. But there are also many shadetree builds as well. There is absolutely no question in my mind that ANY modestly capable hotrodder with a decently equipped garage can build an equivalent car to this or BETTER at a very reasonable cost (under $6K). If I can do it, Steve can certainly do it, as can a majority of others on this site.

Regarding attendance at NSRA events which HAVE been opened up to later model cars...Deuce is on target. The Milwaukee show, which I regularly attended, was canceled this year due to poor attendance over the past two years. My guess is for every post '48 car that showed up, two pre '48 cars declined to come. This is further born out by the fact that Wisconsin also has a Goodguys show (no pre- '48 restrictions) and that show is also struggling in terms of attendance and may well be eliminated in the near future.

While the jury may still be out regarding the effects of the "pre - '48" rule, I think the evidence thus far would indicate that eliminating the rule does not result in huge numbers at the show grounds.